Fell this weekend? Let's hear 'bout it

Purnjap

When you stand up to try and power up an incline, and the chain comes off, so do you, and not in a pretty way either! But maybe if I hear how YOU came down to earth this weekend and in which event, my own eina will hurt less... Mine was at 9km into Legend Gorge in Limpopo on Saturday btw...

Two races the weekend, Diamond Rush and Babbas Lodge and luckily no falls, few scratches from branches, but ey-o-key!

I wish I had fallen this weekend. Flew to JHB to do a site check last week Tuesday for the day, project went to hell in a handbag, flew home last night, introduced myself to the wife and kids and am flying back tomorrow AM, will packe extra rods this time....

Shame man...you almost make us fele guilty! lol (ALso did Babbas on Sunday to prevent stiffness from saturday's ride Mr De Jongh, its the perfect post-race race)

Just this weekend? I fall over a lot when on my MTB. This weekend I did a involuntary dismount on Friday when my front wheel got stuck between a rock and a root while going uphill at Coetzenburg. Went sideways into a clump of small gumtrees and stumps. Have a really spectacular set of bruises on the inner forearm as a result.

I saw those three red arrows during the Diamond Rush (70km) and decided today is not a good day to fall and break something....like a sissie I walked down..... :o .....but I am still alive and kicking!! ;)

Stuck in mud in Magalies, brain went numb and I did not disengage my feet from the pedals in time, just went over to one side, nice soft landing though! Even though it was in the middle of the veld with no one around for a good few K's you still feel a muppet and hope no-one saw!

Did the Cullinan 40km ride this weekend. Was a pretty cool ride but saw what felt like a higher number of injured cyclists on this ride.

There was a guy who looked to be in his 50's lying near one of the water points on his side (recovery position) with medical staff. He looked pretty out of it and the water staff said the guy lost control in the thick sand.

The 2nd one was the worst - a youngish looking guy - probably late teens - lying in a rocky section with blood coming out of mouth and nose etc. Looked like he may have face planted.

The third was a woman who feel on the downhill heading towards the base of the mine dune. She fell just in front of me but I suspect her injury wasn't that bad. She was kinda out of it but often you are for a minute or 2.

It was to my mind a relatively technical route and I really enjoyed it. What I didn't enjoy was all the people getting off their bikes and then blocking the route for those who wanted to ride. There is nothing more frustrating than making it up and over a technical section only to have to bail JUST near the top because some chop has blown a gasket and decides to stop and STAND IN THE PATH! WTF!! Get off the path or at least get to one side so others can get past. On some areas, there were 2 lanes of traffic where guys were pushing their bikes so NOBODY could get through. GRRR!!!

I never got the chance to fall over this weekend...

My bike entered an "unridable" state on Friday eve...

It all started with 3 new backup tubes all having holes in them and ended with a trashed rear hub and greasy brake pads...

Having to do chores around the house on Saturday sucked BIG time.

By the way - I heard on the radio (702) about a cyclist being seriously injured in Cullinan. Anyone know more details?

Had a soft landing taking some newbies around Meerendal this weekend. At the second dam the usual line was a bit wet. I wanted to cross a muddy section to get a better entry line for the fence crossing and front wheel dipped into the mud. 1/2 endo'd and landed flat on my back in the mud the a sloppy "thud" - needless to say that my wife and our friends had a good laugh at my expence. Fortunately my new bike came down gently as my feet were still securely clipped into my pedals. As I landed I gently brought the bike down to earth and unclipped.

Had a soft landing taking some newbies around Meerendal this weekend. At the second dam the usual line was a bit wet. I wanted to cross a muddy section to get a better entry line for the fence crossing and front wheel dipped into the mud. 1/2 endo'd and landed flat on my back in the mud the a sloppy "thud" - needless to say that my wife and our friends had a good laugh at my expence. Fortunately my new bike came down gently as my feet were still securely clipped into my pedals. As I landed I gently brought the bike down to earth and unclipped.

You sound like me...within half a second of hitting the ground, we are going OMG the bike! hope she's fine! :)

I had my fall for the year at Cullinan thank you very much. Crashed hard on the Diamond dump downhill. I posted photos in the Diamond rush thread somewhere.

Broke my new Helmet. Iesh. But I still managed to finish 4th in the 40km.

About the youngish guy that did the faceplant: Me and Thys and a couple of other okes got lost/missed a marker. We lost some time (About 2/3 minutes) trying to find the route again. Anyway, we caught up with some of the guys that passed us while we were playing hide and seek. And one of these was the faceplant kid. It was on a slight incline. he looked tired and he tried to hang onto the wheel in front of him. Just before we got to the rocky section, I passed him. I think he tried to hard to match the pace. I heard him crash behind me but could not afford to look around. The crash sounded bad, but I heard no groans comming from him so I thought he was ok...Iesh.

Mr de Jongh, If you had juice left for Babba's on Sunday...Damn!

I had my fall for the year at Cullinan thank you very much. Crashed hard on the Diamond dump downhill. I posted photos in the Diamond rush thread somewhere.

Broke my new Helmet. Iesh. But I still managed to finish 4th in the 40km.

About the youngish guy that did the faceplant: Me and Thys and a couple of other okes got lost/missed a marker. We lost some time (About 2/3 minutes) trying to find the route again. Anyway, we caught up with some of the guys that passed us while we were playing hide and seek. And one of these was the faceplant kid. It was on a slight incline. he looked tired and he tried to hang onto the wheel in front of him. Just before we got to the rocky section, I passed him. I think he tried to hard to match the pace. I heard him crash behind me but could not afford to look around. The crash sounded bad, but I heard no groans comming from him so I thought he was ok...Iesh.

Mr de Jongh, If you had juice left for Babba's on Sunday...Damn!

You okes are machines with those times of yours. Finished the half in 2:26, and enjoyed the hell out of it. Babbas on Sunday did go quite slow, did the first lap and snails pace (75% HR) and only gave a bit of stick on the second lap. Finished in 3:02.

WHAT IS THE THE PROPER THING TO DO, WHEN SOME ONE YOU DONT KNOW FALLS DURING A TRAINING RIDE?

Pretty simple I reckon - if they are alone, stop and help. If they have several others with them, stop and offer assistance. If they say they are ok, let them get on with it. If there is clearly a bunch of people there, ride on as you are just making a mess of things if you stop and add to the traffic jam.