Best tyres for wet sticky mud?

Funkman

Bontrager Mud 1.80 on the rear and Hutchinson Bulldogs on the front! It looks funny but I swear by it. The thinner tyre cuts through the mud and the big well spaced knobbies shed mud at a hell of a pace. Done 2 Sani2C with this combination and even though we know we lose speed on dry stuff you sit back and laugh when the terrain becomes wet.

Maxxis do make a mud specific tyre.

Conti Mountain Kings or Kenda Nevagals.

Have to agree with moegoe, but just note the kenda is notrorious for crappy sidewalls, so not recomended for UST. Most people in the cape take off the corsmarks and monorails and replace them with

Conti race kings at the back and MT kings for the front for winter.

i had the crossmarks lust thought they were average at everything but good at nothing. Got the kenda Nevgals now theyare more resistant but have awesome grip. Used them in the mud as the paarl rotary and they were brilliant. If u want grip and traction the nevgals are where its at.

My Kenda Excavators work a treat, dont like the thick sludge though.

I hear the Kenda John Tomac King of Traction are pretty good for the sticky stuff.

The Kenda Navegal is a awesome all round tyre.

Last year some UK MTB mag did a test on best wet weather & mud tyre (for UK conditions). Their choice was Hutchinson Toro. I bought a set and find them great all round.

Guest agteros

My cheapish MTB had cheapish WTB Velociraptors on, and I could complete THAT muddy lap at the Dec 24 hour race. Changed over to Mountain Kings during this year. The Velociraptors steered truer than the Mountain Kings. I'm forever taking W-I-D-E corners now. Rear wheel had a tractor tyre.

Have to admit that I've not tried the Mountain Kings in thick, sticky mud but I'm definitely NOT impressed by them, other than that they weigh less than the Velociraptors.