Are you armed, or do you carry a weapon.?

GrumpyOldGuy

Are you armed and ready to use a weapon.  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you armed, and / or carry arms.

• Yes I am, and carry arms on a regular basis.
    • No, but I believe others have this right.
    • No, all weapons should be in the control of the government.
    • Threaten me and find out.

......following from the crime thread I wondered how many folk here are legally armed and carry weapons on a daily basis.

I am a member of a few weapon / gun forums and just sort of adapted the poll which was rather interesting.

So, anyway, I will start, as my signature says I believe in self protection both for myself and my family, I am legally armed and yes I do carry a concealed weapon on occassion.

I am concerned about the way things are going for legal gun owners in SA, simply because its a fact that almost every major tryannical regime in modern times has been methodical in disarming its citizanry prior to imposing a Police State,(not unlike what we have seen here in SA recently) and that the right to selfprotection is a basic human right which no law or government can / should restrict.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ready to use a weapon - YES

Armed - NO

Temper - MAD MAX 5

...Threaten to cause bodily harm/Attack ME....you will not see another sunrise.

post-3512-033548100 1281185353.gif

Guns can be very dangerous if you do not know how to use them. Knowing how and when to draw your gun is something that needs to be learned and then practised. For a gun to be effective, adequate distancing is required. You cannot pull a gun as you are being attacked as it is a 50/50 situation. You will need to be in control of your attacker and create the distance/time to draw the weapon and cycle it. Alternatively you could carry it cycled, but then if you are disarmed you have less time to react when your attacker uses your own weapon against you.

Further complication arise as the times when you would need to use it are generally when you vulnerable and unable to easily move or see an attack coming. eg seated in a car without easy access or time/ space to maneuver or when your back is turned and you unlocking your front door.

Having said that, if you know how to use it I am all for it. I do plan to obtain a firearm in the future however at this point it will do me more harm than good to carry it. I do however carry a knife. (which I do know how to use).

Guns can be very dangerous if you do not know how to use them. Knowing how and when to draw your gun is something that needs to be learned and then practised. For a gun to be effective, adequate distancing is required.

I have 20 years experience in firearms and am trained in useing many firearms small and big.I used to shoot at least 250 rounds a week and in the 3 robberies i was in i only got to use my firearm once.

It happens so fast that in most cases you can't react untill the threat is gone.

I would hate to see cyclists carrying guns it WILL make you a target.

I do carry a firearm with me most of the time, but not on the bike, I farm sheep and the firearm is for the benefit of feral dogs, generally not wild animals (Black back Jackal and Lynx), I caught a Cape Fox this AM in a cage trap and let it go as it is too small to kill, although the little bugger killed a lamb earlier this week.

If you carry a firearm for self defense, are you prepared to kill someone with it, I don't know that I am. If I'm under threat, I'd rather try to talk my way out of trouble, however if my family is under threat, I may shoot you.

The question is, could you live with yourself if you killed someone. I don't want to find out.

Beone I agree with you

post-2975-061181300 1281196286.jpg

If you carry a firearm for self defense, are you prepared to kill someone with it?

that's the real question.

Allow me to share my ideas,

I carry when I am in SA, well mst of the times, I have used a gun in anger and have shot someone. Was in the Army and it was either him or me, I have lost no sleep about it. When the situation happened the training took over, it was instinctive. I am now in a country where people get shot nearly every minute, and here I am not allowed to carry as I am a contractor giving training, not doing PSD work.

Would I carry if I could, I do not know, maybe maybe not.

Firearms in SA will always be a very emotional subject with both parties trying to convince you that THEY are right. It is MY choice.

How does the saying go......"it is better to have gun and not use it, than to need a gun and not have it" If you carry, be prepared to use it.

Guns can be very dangerous if you do not know how to use them. Knowing how and when to draw your gun is something that needs to be learned and then practised. For a gun to be effective, adequate distancing is required. You cannot pull a gun as you are being attacked as it is a 50/50 situation. You will need to be in control of your attacker and create the distance/time to draw the weapon and cycle it. Alternatively you could carry it cycled, but then if you are disarmed you have less time to react when your attacker uses your own weapon against you.

You raise valid points, but USA federal police stats dont agree with the distance scenario you mention.

In fact the stats show that a weapon used from 10 to 15 yards has a hit ratio of 1 in 4 - less if the other guy is shooting back.! This ratio slowly gos up until at 25 yards the ratio is only 1 in 8.

So it could be argued that the closer you are to the "victim" as it were, the greater your chance of inflicting a lethal wound, actually 20 ft (around 6 yards) is considered optimum distance.

I do agree though that if you carry a weapon, you have a responsibility to know how to use it in a stressfull situation, and, must have the mindset that you will use it if the occassion arises - if you "dilly dally" chances are you will lose the weapon, and it could be used on you!.

In fact the stats show that a weapon used from 10 to 15 yards

Between 3-5 meters is where most suspects are shot.So that is correct for SA to.

Downside is that if it becomes more commen carrying a gun is it will make cyclists more of a target, its easier to trace a stolen cellphone than a gun.

Downside is that if it becomes more commen carrying a gun is it will make cyclists more of a target, its easier to trace a stolen cellphone than a gun.

I dont know if thats true Scotty, I think the opposite might happen.

Personally, I believe an armed society is a free society, and in SA especially, a disarmed society in my opinion is in deep s**t.

I think as cyclists, especially those of us who ride alone, are almost "sitting ducks" to those who want to take what belongs to us, you dont have to go far to read the bike jacking issues lately, sometimes benign, but sometimes the cyclists were attacked with panga's and knobkierries.

I am not particularly attached to my bicycle, but I like all my appendages, and I would like to be around a few more years, so if I am attacked by some thug, who feels in the process of taking my bicycle, cell phone whatever, its okay to murder or maim me as well, I will respond with like force and wont think twice about using a weapon to defend myself.

Guest Big H

I carry one of these when I travel....... he carries an AK47..... they are called MOPOL ..... Motorised Police and the armed robbers are **** scared of them as they shoot first and then ask questions. We have six of then guarding our estate.

post-24-095552300 1281220454.jpg

The Firearms act says that you must be under control of your firearm at all times.Where are you going to carry a gun while cycling and what happens when you fall?

Must agree cyclists will become even more of a target if word gets out that they are carrying guns.