TomTom vs. Garmin

StevieL

Wow, If my friend sees thim im in serious sh!t.... :lol:

The 205W has a bit more, atleast it has a QWERTY keyboard. :D

How did you reprogram the keybord of the 200W, my father has one and is constantly bitching about it.

Glad the 205W got updated a with QWERTY.

Ill have to look on my old laptop, I have the file for the "QWERTY" keyboard there somewher. I can email it to you and then it just copy and paste in the... nevermind Ill send the instructions.

garmin said the maps will be updated for SA.

Garmin says a lot of things!

but I've heard people questioning the accuracy of TT's mapping.

If this has been sorted, then I may become a TT convert as well.

I havent had any such issues - now go and buy your TT!

I think they are much of a muchness.

I have both and I prefer Garmins graphics, but the Tom Tom has more info. like points of interest, fuel stations etc. Plus its quite a bit cheaper.

If I bought again I would only look price wise, because in my opinion thats all that differentuates them.

Theres also MIO now and going really cheap, I saw a basic one for R780.00 recently, although I see Tom -Tom is also around this level for an entry level unit - but if you just want navigation, thats all you really need.

Wow, If my friend sees them imp in serious sh!t.... :lol:

The 205W has a bit more, at least it has a QWERTY keyboard. :D

all these features are nice, but not that important except the Warn when driving faster than allowed, I wish I had this.

How did you reprogram the keyboard of the 200W, my father has one and is constantly bitching about it.

I bought the Garmin in the USA, there maps are a lot better, it even warned me about speed limits, back in SA it stopped doing it, and Garmin said the maps will be updated for SA.

The TT is perfect us but I'm not going to get religious on it.

The Left handed or right handed was originally a wank for me but it immediately became useful as my wife is left handed and I'm right handed. I don't care about brand but I will never buy a unit that does not have this feature.

Also the voice volume being set according to your driving speed is a very useful feature.

But I must say that I honestly did not know the Garmin lacked all these features and now I'm glad I went TT.

Does the Tom Tom (sounds like a drum used in Voodoo practices) have a bike mount...... my Garmin GPS 60 csx has and it is waterproof and rubber cushioned. It also survived the worst roads in Mozambique and Angola you can think of and the new Nigeria map is amazing. Can the drum GPS use Tracks4Africa map software. The best you can find.

TT are now bringing out motor bike units but I've yet to see a clip for my bike for my unit.

Also I know Garmin is the better unit for 4x4, I don't think TT have a 4x4 unit yet (or the new outdoor units might have those features).