3 speed SS????

Riding in Africa

You mean a Sturmey archer?

http://www.blonkindustries.com/sitebuilder/images/Sturmey_Archer_3_speed-371x272.jpg

Haai oe!!!!!!!..... ek het altyd gewonner of die dwergie nie dalk kwaad is dat hulle sy se kettangkie gesteel het nie!!!!!!! Ek het so dukwiel Hercules met drombrieke gehad wat so three speed gehad het.

I'm really interested in a nexus.

Under the impression that there are different models, and I'm not finding clarity on the differences.

Do I have to do a CRC here, or does anybody know of local stockists in the WCape?

I have been inspired by this. This is beautiful and looks like a lot of fun with sophistication.

The colors are great as well.

Which specific gear shift does this bike have ?? If you are sure you know the system please help.

You'll see the two black cables that run to the "black box" at the rear.

post-7990-068817000 1281991656.jpg

I have been inspired by this. This is beautiful and looks like a lot of fun with sophistication.

Which specific gear shift does this bike have ?? If you are sure you know the system please help.

Are those two black cables not running to the brake on the non-drive side?

that looks like the rohloff

Are those two black cables not running to the brake on the non-drive side?

The brake is the white cable on top from what i can make out.

The brake is the white cable on top from what i can make out.

Sorry, you're right. Couldn't see so nicely.

<hijack on>

TW please follow up again on that secret old box of goodies again when you have a chance

<hijack off>

Having now been riding SS for a few months i am having the time of my life again.

I was thinking is it posible to set the bike up to have just 3 sprockets at the back? I am running a 32x17 and would like to go lower for the flats and higher for climbs?

Any ideas

I've built one - its pretty easy. The tricky bits are getting the cable tension and setting the limit screws to the right dpeth. I found an old 105 derailler was great for the three speed. Bear in mind you can't use single speed gears, they need to be ramped and the teeth are shaped at the top to allow the chain to move when shifting. You also need a handful of spacers to get everything in the right place and making sure the locknut on the end of the cassette is good and tight.

If you want to run a 1x9 it is pretty simple. Just look into purchasing a MRP or E-13 XC chain guide to make sure the chain stays on the ring. The best ratio I have investiagted is a 34x34 or 36 at the rear. So you can climb but still have gear range on the flats and DH. I am currently running a 1x9 with 32x 11-32 cassette and it works like a charm. The MRP 1x XCX chain guide I have is also fantastic - worth every penny. One just needs to finesse the chainline a little. Oh, yes, the chain guide only works with external BB cups.

PM if you would like more details or pics...

AND JUST REMEMBER - BOMB HILLS, NOT COUNTRIES...

If you go to the forums section of www.mtbr.com and look at the internal gear sub-forum, there is a lot of info on internal gear hubs and using them with MTB.

Guys have been quite successfull in using the Alfine hub instead of a Rohloff.

Then you get 8 speed (the new one is supposed to be 11 speed).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35102

I ran an 8 speed Alfine hub as above successfully through two UK winters without any problems. It was on my Dialled Bikes Love Hate which has an eccentric bottom bracket for chain tension. Many guys are using the Alfine now as a winter setup due to the fact its actually more reliable than a rear derailleur in heavy mud conditions. In fact Genesis stock it as standard on their iOiD model:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/io-ioid/

Things to consider are: weight, its quite heavy; the initial setup of cable tension for the gears can be tricky; you need to carry a wheel spanner for removing the wheel in case of flats; you need to get the correct non turn washers depending on what dropouts are on your bike (the fitting kit on CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35105 has for both horizontal and vertical); you need to buy fitting kit and shifter seperately

Apart from all that if you love the simplicity of SS but also like to climb and like me can do with a few more gears (also handy on the flats keeping up with your geared mates)its a great setup.

Here it is on my Love Hate:

post-17370-059424700 1282105501_thumb.jpg

well i can not belive my luck!!! :huh:

killing time so went into Mikes Bikes to look at some bling, and staring back at me from one of the display cases was a MRP X.1 chain device, So i did what any man would do swipe that card.

So now i have a 1x9 or is it 9x1?

anyway will try it out at the time trial at Rietvlei this comming weekend.

Now i wont get pasted on the flats spinning like a hamster on crack!!!!!! :P