POTHOLES!!!!

paulvs

An exert from an IOL article

Ellis, however, said she was told by staff at the municipality that unless potholes were reported, there was no way the department would know about them. This was one of the grounds on which her claim was rejected, she was told.

The rejection letter stated that no negligence could be attributed to eThekwini.

"But we pay our taxes for them to keep roads and other services in working order," she said.

Ellis said it was disappointing that despite the public paying rates and taxes for the upkeep of the city, the onus lay with people to report potholes.

She said it was an unfair system, because there was no way to determine whether the city was aware of the pothole, on which grounds the claim could be processed.

Hobson said the call centre kept records of reported potholes and work orders and inspection records were recorded by the department's operations centre.

OMG terrible accident to have, anyone who has tried motorpacing behind a vechile knows the feeling when you suspect that a pothole or manhole cover is coming...Hope they get better quick.

Have to wonder how the driver and his assistant (?assuming he had one) did not see and warn the riders timerously.

Did you hear that 3 MTN pro guys went down breaking bones because of potholes....

uhhh yeah we read the article posted at the top of the thread - hence the replies - strange how it works really :blink:

I think it's the driver of the kombi's fault for not seeing the pothole... when I used to do motorpacing down the Bottelary my old man used to keep his eyes fixed on the road ahead of him to make sure there were no bricks, potholes or other debris lying in our path... and if there was anything lying in the road he would move over slightly as I was to stick to right half of the bumper...

And I'm sure he would have had a good laugh if he looked in the rear view mirror to see me k@king off on my trackbike...

So if you are going to do motorpacing make sure you got someone in the car who knows what they are doing!

my 2c

Where were their race radio's?????

I once took Bakwena to Court becuase of a dented rim and destroyed tyre. They thought it was a joke but I went through with the process and came court date they did not even turn up in court. My claim was awarded in their absentia, I sent them the court,s ruling and they paid...... lot of schlepp though to do all of this.

Instead of complaining about potholes on an open forum where the relevant authorities never come rather go and look at this link and report the potholes to the relevant authorities. remeber to get a name of the person as well as a reference number, if possible, to prove that the complaint has been logged. Also actively follow up your complant.

http://www.nra.co.za/live/content.php?Item_ID=96

By actively involving yourself and other you can play a pivotal part in service delivery.

I think it's the driver of the kombi's fault for not seeing the pothole... when I used to do motorpacing down the Bottelary my old man used to keep his eyes fixed on the road ahead of him to make sure there were no bricks, potholes or other debris lying in our path... and if there was anything lying in the road he would move over slightly as I was to stick to right half of the bumper...

And I'm sure he would have had a good laugh if he looked in the rear view mirror to see me k@king off on my trackbike...

So if you are going to do motorpacing make sure you got someone in the car who knows what they are doing!

my 2c

Hmph... good tactic.

Makes complete sense for the driver to watch out for risk.

One would think that the support to the pros would do this. :huh: