bmx or trials bike

Slowbee

Not big second hand market. That's why I decided to build one. Found a frame, fork and wheels over the last few months and got the rest from crc.

If you're not in a hurry, watch the hub. They do come along once in a while

right so some guidance ...... firstly , lets clear something up - saddle height and wheelie .. is it easy to learn ?

Slowbee, what sort of budget you got for this new toy?

cos even 2nd hand there's not much for cheaper than that Brand new Ruckus from obike (Marked down from R11 000 to R5 700)... it's a steal!

if you do find something cheaper 2nd hand... just make sure it's not gonna fall apart on your first launch (as you can imagine, bikes of this nature undergo some punishment).

patch man, that ruckus is really an ideal one. as I dont know pricing and components are they decent spec. More importantly is the frame good quality as I will upgrade over time if it grabs me.

I've know of 3 guys jumping on the Ruckus. (2 on the SX and 1 on the DX)... and as far as I now all of them love it.

Nolipoli has the exact same one as I suggested, maybe drop him a PM and see what he has to say about it?!

As far as components go... you can't even get a raleigh XC bike with components like that for that price.

if you're willing to spend about R1800 more you can get the DX. The difference seems to be, better fork components.

http://www.obike.co.za/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

The frames are the same as far as I know... just that the DX comes in that tan, and the SX in blue. I personally prefer the blue.

but yeah... if I didn't just buy a FR bike I woulda got a Ruckus!

right so some guidance ...... firstly , lets clear something up - saddle height and wheelie .. is it easy to learn ?

Yes its easy to learn it just takes a bit of practice. Most NB thing is to keep your arms straight, I find the best saddle height is about 50mm below your XC height, this gives you a better centre of gravity for balance, enough power in your legs and allowes for more sideways movement of your knees for balance.

patch man, that ruckus is really an ideal one. as I dont know pricing and components are they decent spec. More importantly is the frame good quality as I will upgrade over time if it grabs me.

A friend who is also getting into jumping got the SX, thus far he is loving it.

The frame geometry is good and if you break it I will be amazed, its build to be abused. the spec is pretty standard, the fork isnt the greatest but its all you need to start off.

If you compare the prices to CRC

Frame bought locally will cost you R 3000

Breaks R 1000

Wheels R 1500

Fork R 1600

Cranks R 1000

the rest of the bike around R 1500

= R 9 600

these prices are all minimum, it really is a good deal if you want a play bike, I was contemplating getting one just to use some parts and then have a DJ specific bike.

Slowbee...how about a bmx cruiser - which is a BMX racing bike but with 24" wheels on it....it doesn't have front suspension but they don't nearly come as expensive as DJ bikes...they are also wonderful to learning manually (wheely) on because you have less weight factor and no heavy suspension in front. Also, if you have never jumped, having some suspension spring back at you might be quite daunting...

The cruisers are what the "old" fogies race bmx on - anyone older than 19 bascially that are not elite. Also, from my experience, buying a second hand DJ bike can bring ou some surprises because they REALLY get thrown about. BMX cruiser gets my vote for something to "play" with.

Check out Felt cruisers or have a chat to someone at Omnico for prices on GT Cruisers...also check BMXSA.co.za - they often have second hand deals there. Hope I convinced ya :lol:

Hey Slowbee, if you haven't been convinced already, I'll add my vote for a DJ bike. They truly are a great 'play' bike.

WRT suspension springing you back (?), if your rebound is set up right, that'll never happen. I know my front shock has saved a couple of questionable landings.

The O-bike special is a really good deal (both of the models on offer are great), but every now and again you do get a neat 2nd hand bike that is advertised on here. The problem is that because there are so few guys riding them it's not all that often and when they do get advertised sometimes they're in the wrong part of the country.

Good luck with the bike hunt.

Where are you based BTW?