Prices of bicycles

mudda

My bad... Guess I shouldn't be checking the hub at 5:30am in the mornings. However, you weren't specific in your price check. The ALUMINUM C Six is $1.5K, and the CARBON C Six is $4K.

And your right checking the Hub at 5:30 in the mornings is soley reserved for Crack and Myself that are self confessed cases with a slight hint of forum OCD.

Although all the bitching about how over priced Carbon is should have been a clue :P that said USD1500 for alu is just as ridiculous.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And whats even sadder about these sunnies, they wont be lighter than the normal plastic ones. They wont be stronger than the plastic, actually they will scratch easier than the plastic. Not that saving 5 grams on your sunnies should be relevant anyway.

So whats the bloody point.

those are the aluminum ones not the carbon ones.

The carbon ones have no been dropped to USD 4000 which with the now lower exchange rate and no import and VAT duties would come to : 28,577.9 ZAR now add duties and vat to that, and the fact that you cannot buy it online there is probably some other charges attached to the sunnies, hence why cycling SA would come to the figure of R48k

So to further add in my 2 cents, even if the exchange rate was ZAR 7.50/ USD, and addind in 30% for misc taxes and shipping, that comes to R37,660 +/-, that's still a 23% markup. I'm thinking that I may need to start calling in my contacts and open up shop there - I'd make a killing - and that's just on the glasses!!!

You pay what you want to pay. If you can´t afford it you´re stupid to buy it, and it will come back to haunt you sometime in the future.

The argument of me beating you on my R1000 Score special is irrelevant. Some people made a choice to put careers/work before hobbies, it is there right to buy what they can afford (and for us to buy on second hand market or wait for the technology to trickle down to more affordable models). Thanks to them (the big spenders) the manufactures are willing to push the envelope and spent on R&D.

Personnaly I will not spent more than my after tax monthly salary on cycling (all inclusive - not only the bike) per year.

Next time I see a uber sweet bike I will respond with a Wow!, the same way as I respond when a guy flashes past me when I am pushing really hard.

Silverback Reno FTW.

I firmly believe that until I am at the top of my game, no bike, no matter how awesome (or expensive) will make the difference.

I was passed on the 75 km Knysna MTB by a much older chap who was wearing takkies, PT shorts and a T-shirt, he was on a mountain bike with zero shocks. Do you think I would have beaten him if I was on a 60k Specialized - I doubt it, but putting in an extra hour or two a week will give me the required results and if not at least I haven't wasted my money.

So to further add in my 2 cents, even if the exchange rate was ZAR 7.50/ USD, and addind in 30% for misc taxes and shipping, that comes to R37,660 +/-, that's still a 23% markup. I'm thinking that I may need to start calling in my contacts and open up shop there - I'd make a killing - and that's just on the glasses!!!

Lizzy i see your in the states? You want to make a fortune, well thats easy. Start a service for local hubbers where you will buy them bikes in the US, strip them to parts, and send the parts to SA. Put a 5% markup on for your effort, and youll make a killing.

And hubbers will get their bikes for a lot less than what we pay locally.

@covie,if you wear those Oakleys in SA someone will cut your head off for them,best hire a bodyguard.

This is SA mate they will cut your head off for a pair of clicks specials.

Silverback Reno FTW.

I firmly believe that until I am at the top of my game, no bike, no matter how awesome (or expensive) will make the difference.

I was passed on the 75 km Knysna MTB by a much older chap who was wearing takkies, PT shorts and a T-shirt, he was on a mountain bike with zero shocks. Do you think I would have beaten him if I was on a 60k Specialized - I doubt it, but putting in an extra hour or two a week will give me the required results and if not at least I haven't wasted my money.

There is a certain limit to what quality equipment will improve performance, though i do agree in principle to what your saying. Still depends 90% on the rider. I have to admit, the better fork helps me on the rough stuff, the stronger brakes does give me a lot more control, and the dual suspension does make the ride more comfy while giving me supreme confidence.

Will i win races in the near future not likely, is it all about the equipment definitly not. Is my ride more comfy defintly yes :D

Lizzy i see your in the states? You want to make a fortune, well thats easy. Start a service for local hubbers where you will buy them bikes in the US, strip them to parts, and send the parts to SA. Put a 5% markup on for your effort, and youll make a killing.

And hubbers will get their bikes for a lot less than what we pay locally.

Yup, good ol' Chicago!!! The winters suck ass though. Gimme some specs/products to look up, and I'll give you some prices that I can get them for, just out of curiousity to see how feasible it would be.

There you go boys and girls the lady does speaketh :) I just spent all my hard earned cash on a new Athem frame but I am sure there will be many people that can tell you what they want.

Do you think they would sell 10 times more bikes if bikes cost a tenth of what they currently cost?

No. Because there are only so many people interested in cycling for recreation in the market at any given time.

And you think it has nothing to do with your average Joe walking into a cycle store seeing this awesome looking bike, walks over to it, sees the price 38K, and turns on his heels and walks out the door?

I think you will easily get 10 times the number. In the team that works for me at least 7 guys would buy a bike today if they were half the price. Now they have to save up for months to be able to get a decent "entry level" bike.

I managed to get a R1000 saving on the bike from the initial price request - how does a shop manage to do that?Plus I mangaed to get a further 15% off on a helmet. Now are they still making profit on this bike? I would say they are. :rolleyes: