Helmets - So much confusion

Caerus

The Bell policy is only for three years. If you crash in that time, they will replace any locally bought helmet for 30% of the retail price.

More expensive helmets are not necessarily lighter. The R500 Bell Solar is 3g lighter than the R1700 Bell Sweep (but I don't know whether or not the Sweep's weight includes the visor).

I did notice that too in all my research thus far - Why do you think that is - you would think less material = less expensive.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are helmets that way 175g, now that I cant afford. Come up to Durban and ride, then you will know about heat & humidity is all about. Im happy to spend the least amount possible. Dont think its vanity, More personal choice(or is that vanity) :unsure:

Crack buddy what i am saying is youll get helmets at Half that price, probably twice as confortable with the same if not more events.

I am not aiming anything at you in particular, Im generalizing (bad i know) but most people ride with super expensive kit that adds no real value simply because of being brand concious and for some obsurd reason they think its super cool.

If you get real value out of it or you think you will then its all up to you, I personally think it will be a waist of money. But its your cash buddy :) your are going to have to do what you think is best. I am simply adding my 2cents (and i expect change)

Crack buddy what i am saying is youll get helmets at Half that price, probably twice as confortable with the same if not more events.

I am not aiming anything at you in particular, Im generalizing (bad i know) but most people ride with super expensive kit that adds no real value simply because of being brand concious and for some obsurd reason they think its super cool.

If you get real value out of it or you think you will then its all up to you, I personally think it will be a waist of money. But its your cash buddy :) your are going to have to do what you think is best. I am simply adding my 2cents (and i expect change)

I hear you on all counts - helmet shopping it is then.Damn I hate shopping even at a bike shop :(

I agree on the marketing hype. I've had 3 occasions to test helmets (1 Bell and 2 Giro), 2 in accidents and once when they tried to disposses me of my bike and dropped a paving stone on my head. All 3 saved me considerable injury and all cost around R600 and did exactly what helmets costing a lot more would have done.

I agree on the marketing hype. I've had 3 occasions to test helmets (1 Bell and 2 Giro), 2 in accidents and once when they tried to disposses me of my bike and dropped a paving stone on my head. All 3 saved me considerable injury and all cost around R600 and did exactly what helmets costing a lot more would have done.

Thats hectic, that they dropped a paving slab on your head. Whats this country comin too(god that maks me angry :angry: ). Where & when did that happen, They didnt take your bike I see. Was it from a bridge or something?

Crack why don't you check out the Catlike Helmets that wsquared is selling? He is in Hilton close to you and he probalby also unfortunately supports the Sharks. He also has a crash replacement warranty. Search "Catlike' in the classfied forum.

Crack why don't you check out the Catlike Helmets that wsquared is selling? He is in Hilton close to you and he probalby also unfortunately supports the Sharks. He also has a crash replacement warranty. Search "Catlike' in the classfied forum.

They look nice :)

Just to add some debate to the mix. I recently had a serious accident pulled ligaments in the shoulder and pushed the collor bone out a bit but it did not break and smacked my head on the compacted jeep track. I was wearing a specialized helmet which was pretty badly cracked. Walked away with no head injury and back riding again. The point I am merlely making is once you have had an accident or you know of someone who has and walked away unscathed make sure you use a helmet of that make. I have no idea which is the best helmet but make sure you have one on your head for the right reasons and protect that nut of yours.

I never took the helmut back to the LBS but does anyone know specialized policy on helmuts?

They once employed a guy called Helmut. They eventually fired him.

In fact, he did such a bad job that Specialized's policy on Helmuts is now not to employ any of them.

They once employed a guy called Helmut. They eventually fired him.

In fact, he did such a bad job that Specialized's policy on Helmuts is now not to employ any of them.

lol - definatly not convinced on the Specialized helmets - It didnt fit too nice on me melon firstly, secondly I felt like a storm trooper with it on, - Also too much of expensive :( Not worth the money I think

So then tried the Bells , they are so so as well(they only had a small range to try on, not convinced with the fit either, but will give the rest of the range a go though.Then it was a FOX helmet again not for me. Then it was the MET's turn, I currently have a MET(parachute), all I can say is we met and I fell in love, it ticks all the right boxes for me :) - it is so much of comfortable :rolleyes: . So CRC here we come.

Does anyone know where in Durban I could try the "Catlike" helmets, I dont wanna drive to Hilton to try it on and also to look at a helmet. So its just the Giros left. Anything else possibly :unsure:, that I should try.

Ive realised it is definatly down to fit, then price, then looks. So if thats vain, so be it ;)

Just bought one of these...Fox Flux...VERY happy with it laugh.gif

Ventilates well and is rather light (for me anyway) and offers some back of head protection too.

The fit is really great and so is the mechanism for fitting it to your head.

http://www.buycycle....t-l-xl-fox.html

It arrived yesterday...they are usually over R1 000.

Just bought one of these...Fox Flux...VERY happy with it laugh.gif

Ventilates well and is rather light (for me anyway) and offers some back of head protection too.

The fit is really great and so is the mechanism for fitting it to your head.

http://www.buycycle....t-l-xl-fox.html

It arrived yesterday...they are usually over R1 000.

Not sure if I like that bit that goes around the back of your head. But stocked youre happy with it. You can test it out tomorrow :D