L-Glutamine : Branded vs Non-Branded

flymango

So I've just bought myself 125g of no name brand L-Glutamine from a popular retailer (Clicks) for R89. The same quantity and spec product (2500 mg) with the USN brand costs R109.

Different quality product or cost of a brand?

PS: Best supplement by far, irrespective of responses to follow.

So I've just bought myself 125g of no name brand L-Glutamine from a popular retailer (Clicks) for R89. The same quantity and spec product (2500 mg) with the USN brand costs R109.

Different quality product or cost of a brand?

PS: Best supplement by far, irrespective of responses to follow.

R259 for 700gr Biogen L-Glutamine at Dischem on special

Thats about 50% less than you paid at Clicks

and what do you do with this stuff? Do you drink it on its own or do you add it to a drink?

More like part of your daily diet as a supplement. I find it aids endurance, and especially recovery. Not sure what the science behind it is (something to do with nitrogen?), but it often is an ingredient in some of the recovery and endurance drinks.

Muscle Science also sells a good one. If you google it it will take you to Wikipedia and lists a good write up about it. Also, look at the "Solal" product (you can even join Solal on facebook) and it's quite a good supplement!

You can add it to a sports drink, grape juice, orange juice, etc.

If you have a high protein drink (chocolate, choc-mint, strawberry, etc) for post workout, it can also be added to this.

Pre, during or post exercise.

Aids in recovery of muscles.

More well known in the gym (upper body) industry :P

I've found a supplement that works 110%!!

It is amino acids that teaches and helps your body to repair itself and use it's own fatty acids for energy.

The product's name is Apex Supplements and it is designed by Prof. Du Toit Loots of the North West University in Potchefstroom. He is a biochemist and his wife is a dietician professor.

The two products I use contains Acetyl-L-carnitine (helps with fatty acid metabolism) and L-Glutamine (helps with recobery). 30 minutes before every training session or race I drink half a teaspoon of the Acetyl-L-carnitine and a teaspoon of the L-glutamine. Never looked forward to training so much!!

Started taking Glutamine (USN as it was a spur of the moment purchase) abour a week before Karoo to Coast...

Now granted I had only ever ridden 60km on dirt before and I was riding on my new 15kg 160mm travel all mountain Specialized Enduro...

I took LONG to finish...BUT I had NO cramps, NO muscle pain after the race (even next day)...

I am convinced the Glutamine works.

It really helps to prevent muscle damage during training as well.

It is an "anti-carbolic amino acid" so basically (if I got this right from my GF who knows these things) it is good for you (ok, I forgot the more scientific explanation, but I'm a geologist, not a zoologist :P ).

See this thread :) http://www.thehubsa....4579-glutamine/

Cheers all