UST, Tubeless, Folding bead

Zaskar09

Can someone please explain to me what all this means? I'm thinking of going tubeless since everybody says its better.

I currently have Kenda Karma's on WTB Cross Country Speed Disk wheels. If I want to go tubeless, can I just get the Stan's conversion done or do I need new tires, new wheels etc?

I was looking at the Continental Race King on CRC and the UST one is R360 or something and the non UST is R99. Whats the difference?

What I've figured out, please correct me if I'm wrong, with the UST ones you don't need the Stans provided you have UST rims as well?

Can I run UST tires on non-UST rims? At least untill I can afford to upgrade the wheels?

Also, what does folding bead vs Steel bead have to do with all of this?

Thanks guys!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont have all the answers for you, but this is what i did.

my bicycle came with a set of dtswiss x455 rims. with tubes and some i tyre (i cant remember the name). so i went to the bicycle shop, got me a stans conversion kit and a set of kenda karma UST tubeless (UST - universal system tubeless)

it comes with rim strip, a rubber strip with a valve attached (sorry dont know what its called) and sealant.

took the existing rims, cleaned out the rim strip. stuck the new strip on the rim. then placed the rubber strip with valve on the rim. this one was a bit tricky cos you got to even the rubber around the inside of the rim.

put on my tyre, added the sealant. there is a trick here where you need to use soap water around the beading of the tyre (helps seal the tyre to the rim) and you need to inflate very fast. so use a foot pump. you also got to swirl the sealant around the inside of the tyre.

thats what i did. always been using the same tyres, no problems.

UST tires are strongers than the normal tires that you would use with tubes. i suggest that you do use the UST tires. they have stronger sidewalls. some use the normal tires with a tubeless conversion to save weight but i dont know how reliable that is.

you also get bontrager tires that are tubeless ready. they are lighter tires than the normal UST ones.

You still need stans or some kind of gel in your tires even with UST. If you get a hole in the tire the gel seals the hole. You will get holes in UST tires or any other tires.

I had the same rims, did the stans convertion and havn't had problem. Now I will probably get one for saying this.

Having mine converted as we speak, can't wait to go for a ride tomorrow to see if its really worth all the hype.

You can also get a steel beaded tyre to go tubeless,also cheaper as well. The beaded tyres will also generally last longer then your foldable Non-UST tyre. It's harder to do the tubeless conversion, but is very possible. Only certain steel beaded tyres will work though ;)

Having mine converted as we speak, can't wait to go for a ride tomorrow to see if its really worth all the hype.

Why you not doing it? :P

too bloody lazy dude, besides i have heard the horror stories of people trying to fit those rim strips. And I fully beleive in job creation opportunities for the bicycle techie.

too bloody lazy dude, besides i have heard the horror stories of people trying to fit those rim strips. And I fully beleive in job creation opportunities for the bicycle techie.

Fair enough, the rim strip is the easy part, it gettting it to sit thats the tricky part - what wheels you havin done? :huh:

I have done all of the above.

UST tyre on UST rims, No problem, just inflate with floor pump.

Bontrager on Shimano MT15 (non-tubeless rim), Used a bom and it pumped up. Very liitle air loss.

Wire bead on non-tubeless rim conversion. Dont run the tires soft but works fine so far. Was a bit harder to pump up in the beginning.

Next I want to try doing my trail bike with SPANK rims. I see CRC sell a trail/freeride specific rim strip.

Decided to leave the rims for now, will first attempt to destroy my current ones. And to be honest I'm a bit sketchy on second hand rims since its one of the components that seem to fail the most on MTB's

Can someone please explain to me what all this means? I'm thinking of going tubeless since everybody says its better.

I currently have Kenda Karma's on WTB Cross Country Speed Disk wheels. If I want to go tubeless, can I just get the Stan's conversion done or do I need new tires, new wheels etc?

-> You can use your current setup, depending how well the tyre fits the rim you may need to use tape over the rim for a few layers to build it up and get tyre to lock better once you insert a rubber rim strip with a valve. The strip seals the bead of the tyre to the rim so air doesnt get out there or by the spoke holes and then a liquid sealant is put in that coats the inside of the tyre so that it holds air, it also seals holes from thorns on the tread are NOT sidewall.

I was looking at the Continental Race King on CRC and the UST one is R360 or something and the non UST is R99. Whats the difference?

-> UST has a special bead made to fit airtight in UST rims and also has thick rubber on the sidewall so it holds air on a UST rim without tubes/strips/sealant. The rubber sidewall makes it heavier and less supple than normal tyres but wont cut easily on rocks, so a good option if riding rocky areas

What I've figured out, please correct me if I'm wrong, with the UST ones you don't need the Stans provided you have UST rims as well?

-> That's correct, as its airtight, but if a thorn comes in it will still deflate so I would recommend still using stans to seal up holes that may occur

Can I run UST tires on non-UST rims? At least untill I can afford to upgrade the wheels?

-> Yes you can but again check the fit, as it will probly be too tight to get on/off even with tyre levers, so if you need to put a tube in you're screwed :)

Also, what does folding bead vs Steel bead have to do with all of this?

-> Folding is lighter as it's usually made of a synthetic fiber like kevlar, should be easier to fit and can fold up to be stored Thanks guys!!