UST, Tubeless, Folding bead

Zaskar09

I have done all of the above.

UST tyre on UST rims, No problem, just inflate with floor pump.

Bontrager on Shimano MT15 (non-tubeless rim), Used a bom and it pumped up. Very liitle air loss.

Wire bead on non-tubeless rim conversion. Dont run the tires soft but works fine so far. Was a bit harder to pump up in the beginning.

Next I want to try doing my trail bike with SPANK rims. I see CRC sell a trail/freeride specific rim strip.

What wire beaded tyres do you think work best? Is there a thread for this, if not must start one. :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What wire beaded tyres do you think work best? Is there a thread for this, if not must start one. :)

I wouldnt try do this with wire beaded tires, just not worth the risk i would say, UST prices have come down drastically, 5 months ago Conti's were R700-800 per tyre, now they are like R400 bucks.

I dunno which is best but i used MAXXIS advantage front and MAXXIS crossmark back.

To be honest I think the age or usage (how many times the tyre has been removed and put back on the rim) will determine how well it works.

I was told to look at the bead and see if there is a line from when the tyre is manufactured. This line on the bead will let air escape as it makes a tiny gap between rubber and rim but this is probably for the very cheap tyres.

Wow now i am really suprised the crossmark have no sidewall strength what so ever on the wire beads. And they hold up? Or are you not an abusive rider.

Aslo the advantage of UST is to run low pressures whats your pressures on these.

I wouldnt try do this with wire beaded tires, just not worth the risk i would say, UST prices have come down drastically, 5 months ago Conti's were R700-800 per tyre, now they are like R400 bucks.

Got 2 pairs of brand new Maxxis crossmark which I'll use first. No point wasting ;) One set will go for the missus tubeless conversion and the other for my hardtail.

Wow now i am really suprised the crossmark have no sidewall strength what so ever on the wire beads. And they hold up? Or are you not an abusive rider.

Aslo the advantage of UST is to run low pressures whats your pressures on these.

Oops, I better mention that this on is my hardtail commuting bike. I do ride rough and go from jumping onto/off pavements to sandy paths. I will need to take it to tokai for a better test.

2 Bar or so

If the Maxis dont work for the conversion, they will be going into my second hand sale coming soon to the hub near you ;)

I bet R50 that weight weenie sports a set of racing ralphs.

Can I send you my banking details ? B)

I'm running Maxxis Aspen 2.1 eXCeption 120 tpi's om my racing set, 476g with packaging

Versus the UST mountainking on my front training wheel its about a 350g saving on one wheel alone :)

untitled.bmp

damnit thought i had you pegged lol, a bets a bet so yeah ill pay up.

Haha close !

Havent tried them and dont think I will.

Would rather go with the rocket ron as it is lighter if I was to run schwalbe.

Thing is the Maxxis are like R350 locally in store so when I nicked them riding on some very hectic rocky stuff (was too lazy to put training set on, they still held air though) I just went and bough another pair, no hassles.

Im still looking for Geax Barro race 2.0 at 380g but CRC sent me 29'' and not 26'' :(

Have to admit i went with max grip rather than weight picked up mud on my rear crossmark, got to a rocky section and saw my ass. So now its tyres that can shed mud for me :D

Excuse the hijack (although this is still pretty relevant)

Does a tubeless conversion (non-tubeless rims with Stan's conversion, UST Tires) hold air as well as a full, properly tubeless system or will you have to add some wind everytime you want to ride? How about ghetto tubeless?

I realise that everyone's experience with each system is going to be different but I am just trying to get a general idea - I have heard that UST systems never leak, whereas ghetto and Stans (or any conversion kit, really) tend to produce mixed results.

Is this true because I have been putting off going tubeless until I can afford to do it properly...

/hijack

If the conversion is done right it will hold air just as well, lots of guys have done ghetto and it works according to most, I'm inclined not to trust ghetto and with lack of trust in my equipment i fear I also loose confidence and that detracts from the fun for me.

Hmmm, I tried ghetto, but as cheaply as possible:

2 X BMX Tubes

1 X Ryder sealant

Cost ~R120

Had two new folding monorails and an air compressor - but couldn't get the one to hold air for more than 3 hours, the other lasted a day. Tried riding it like this but it kept burping air, despite being much harder than when I use tubes. I abandoned the idea until recently when I was donated a bottle of Stans, which has been sitting on my desk for 2 months tempting me.