8 vs 9 vs 10

tazz

You have no idea how *** it was B) and my commute each morning is serious uphill.

I had an 8 speed on my old hardtail(just upgraded to 9 speed) so ill tell you If I notice a differance. My full sus is 9 speed, to tell you the truth I havent really noticed a massive differance. I just found the 8 speed slightly harder work, but Im MTBing its not meant to be easy all the time. As for the 10 speed, marketing hype to sell more parts. I personlly think that its pointless. More reason for mud to cake in that rear cassette as well.

So 8 or 9 speed work just fine - I dont see me ever upgrading to 10 speed at all. Just me 2c thats all ;)

I also have an 8 spd Ht and 9 speed FS bike. The difference is noticeable but thats down to the fact that overall I geared the HT up to ride it on the road. The front rings are large and it lacks the low gear climbing ability of the FS. I think that with the right gear ratio's for the kind of riding you're doing you'll hardly notice the difference between 8-9-10.

Agree with Headshot. On my commute this morning, it was such a pleasure to hit the uphills (considering how unfit I am) on my new chainset vs the old chainset.

Since I do not use all my gears, an extra 1 or even 2 will not be felt by me.

My 2 cents worth..

I moved from 9 to 10 speed on my road bike and the only difference was that there was more gears availble to find that sweet spot.

Recently upgraded from 9 to 10 on my MTB (SRAM XX, 2 x 10), only difference was this time around the front chainring went from 3 to 2 configuration, the extra gear in the back made it possible to get rid of the silly little granny gear in the front.

The 2 chainrings (42/28) with a 10 speed 11/36 cassette is equal to 3 chainrings and and 9 speed cassette