Silverback Sido 2 Rear shock top bolt .

FirstV8

The top pivot bolt on the rear shock has some wear on it and it is noisy when riding off road . None of the LBS have stock and according to Cycle Lab the importers have no stock and cannot give a ETA on this spare . Surely this fixing point on the Fox Elite Float shock will have a standard size hole and some of the other brands of bikes will use same bolt . IIMG_4332.jpg.ec36e0db23e233488dd94efe690c6ab1.jpg

Assuming ongoing parts stocks remains an issue: pretty disappointing how Silverback has turned their backs on SA clients.  🤨

Bush is steel and perfect , Bolt is aluminum and worn on one side . Ill add  photo later  

3 hours ago, FirstV8 said:

The top pivot bolt on the rear shock has some wear on it and it is noisy when riding off road . None of the LBS have stock and according to Cycle Lab the importers have no stock and cannot give a ETA on this spare . Surely this fixing point on the Fox Elite Float shock will have a standard size hole and some of the other brands of bikes will use same bolt . IIMG_4332.jpg.ec36e0db23e233488dd94efe690c6ab1.jpg

Did you contact Silverback SA?  They assisted me with bolts for a Stratos at some stage.

Thanks for advice . Ill contact them tomorrow . I trusted Cycle Lab to do that for me but the answer i got was not satisfactory  

If you don't come right PM me , i turned a few out of stainless after friends were having endless issues 

Appreciate that offer . I was going to approach a engineering company to do same if Silverback cant help . 

13 hours ago, FirstV8 said:

Bush is steel and perfect , Bolt is aluminum and worn on one side . Ill add  photo later  

Is there not also a nylon bush in there? Creamy/off white colour.

Edited by Dusty

The phone no supplied is not correct (021 3867777) . Do you perhaps have the no or  email address you used to contact them .

I found the Importers details by emailing Silverback Germany . I got an answer within 30 min and am now awaiting further communication from them . 

1 hour ago, FirstV8 said:

The phone no supplied is not correct (021 3867777) . Do you perhaps have the no or  email address you used to contact them .

3 hours ago, FirstV8 said:

I found the Importers details by emailing Silverback Germany . I got an answer within 30 min and am now awaiting further communication from them . 

I received a email back from MoreCorp the SA importers of Silverback . It is confirmed there is no stock here or in Germany of this bolt and they are busy machining some for customers but im not one of them seeing as im last in the queue and they dont have a delivery date for it . Im going to take BaGearA's offer to machine one and get my bike healthy again . I must commend Silverback and MoreCorp for the fast response and honesty about the stock position as much as i am upset about it . . Many suppliers would have danced around with availability and delivery date i.  

I measured up the original bolt and headed off to a nut and bolt supplier . I found a shoulder bolt with the exact measurements for R25 . Original if available will be at least 10 times plus that price . I fitted it and unfortunately the noise is still there , I put the bike in my work stand and did some more intense investigating and the rear swing triangle bearing in the frame seems to be the culprit . Ill strip it out and go along to SKF and see if they have one off the shelf . All bearings have a model no and can generally be matched by a big bearing supplier . IMG_4353.jpg.2b53c412c007b34468dff379986b0947.jpg

Wear on a pivot bolt like that won't cause play. The bolt clamps the pivot axle against the parallel surfaces on the rocker link - a fit tight enough to eliminate play on the interface between bolt and axle would need very expensive levels of machining tolerance to mass produce.

As you've found out, the problem lies elsewhere in this case the bearings, although as others have pointed out it's usually the mounting hardware and bushings.

A note on pivot bearings - get full complement from your LBS rather than the local bearing guy. The cheap bearings from the industrial guys will fail fast, and the Japanese ones are double the price of Enduro or Cure and won't last any longer in pivots because of the limited range of motion they cycle through.

• 3 months later...

A update on this issue . After finding out that there are no bolt /bearing and bush kits available in SA i messaged Silverback themselves and got a prompt reply from Cycle Lab ( Daniel Amos ) who informed me that those kits are in short supply world wide and CL is now busy having the bolt kits made locally out of stainless steel . The bushes he informed me  were available from a company called Igus ( he also gave me specs and part number. ) I collected the bushes last week and the bolt set today and rebuilt the  suspension . A big thanks to  Kyle and Daniel  from CL who arranged this and kept me in the loop as what is going on . You guys are tops . Pc below is of the beautifully CNC machined bolts .IMG_4856.jpg.8790fda4555038c7d743f3d238e3b3ff.jpg