This is why **common sense** is vital in S.A.

Nish4

You might be surprized at the power of traditional medicine.

Not the power of traditional medicine - call it what it is - it's the power of the placebo effect.

I've recommended it before, but read "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre.

Among the other fascinating stuff you will learn that red placebo tablets are more effective than blue placebo tablets at curing a number of ills.

And dude, even in USA-land it's "surprised" and not "surprized". B)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What amazes me is that somone who paid this "sangoma" so that he can win the lottery, never figured out it was bullsh!t, and then went back to promptly beat the crap out of this fraudster.

And then there's this current news story....

A Zimbabwean spirit medium has been jailed for more than three years for bamboozling President Robert Mugabe's powerful politburo into believing she could conjure diesel fuel from a rock, reports said Thursday.

According to reports at the time, Nomatter Tagarira assembled the country's ministers of national intelligence, police and defence and other top-ranking security officials in 2007 for a demonstration of her powers.

At a stroke on a rock, an assistant hidden in bushes above the group would open a tap to a secret fuel bowser and send the fuel gushing down the rock.

The gullible aides believed she had the answer to the country's crippling fuel shortages then and gave her 1.7 million British pounds, a farm, an armed guard, food and, on one occasion, a 50-vehicle convoy, to carry out her rituals.