Bib Shorts - best value for money?

Dangerboy

What are the best men's bib shorts, value-for-money-wise on the market at the moment? I know of Assos, but are they worth the cash? What about First Ascent or CapeStorm? Are these as good?

Thanks for your advice...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought some first ascent, not too bad, the small is a little big for my liking and they don't do a smaller size, but seem quite good for R700 odd rand (still think its a ridiculous price for shorts)

But I must add that Vermarc are probably the best euro short out there for the money I have a 3 year old pair and they still are great, they really fit properly, no bunching, creasing, moving etc. Think a bit over a grand now.

Yeah, first ascent are great, had a pair of the first ascent revolution for about a year now, really solid shorts, actually just bought another pair!

in my opinion stay away from cape storm, tried on a pair just before i bought my latest pair of first ascents, and they are now where near as comfortable. for the same kind of money.

suppose it all depends on how much you want to spend.

I've got 2 pairs of First Ascent and 2 pairs of Cape Storm. The fit of Cape Storm and the padding and price of the FA will be my perfect pair.

Certain brands just does not fit me perfectly, so on whatever you decide, at least fit them beforehand.

But between First Ascent and Cape Storm, Cape Storm

Anybody tried the Castelli bib shorts for sale at Chris Willemse? There are ones for R599 and R750.

First Accent and Cape Storm are both good, they fit snug, and have good chamois', but unfortunately don't compare to Assos! I have also noticed that if you hang Cape Storm or First Accent, or any of the other under R1000 shorts on the washing line together with an Assos, the other one's chamois is dry long before the Assos. This is due to the density of the Assos chamois, which is beneficial on those long rides. Get CS or FS for training, and Assos for when you really need bum protection.

Of the South African brands I have tried First Ascent and Cape Storm and Anatomic, there is also a number of lesser known brands in my closet, they hang there for the odd occasion when I cycle for less than 70km or the early morning training ride.

For the longer weekend rides I prefer Assos, the S5 or the F1.13 shorts, they are simply superiour, in the final analysis you get what you pay for.

Search Giordana....their Tenax bibs are AWESOME!!

Hear hear.

Also not a fan of Cape Storm.

Anatomic 100miler any good?

Assos is is worth the value you pay for.... No doubt!

Buy this only when you spend oodles of hrs on the iron horse. :rolleyes:

But I must add that Vermarc are probably the best euro short out there for the money I have a 3 year old pair and they still are great, they really fit properly, no bunching, creasing, moving etc. Think a bit over a grand now.

Love my Vermarc as well - paid R1,5k for them - but well worth it, imo. Depends on what model chamois you go for, I think...

Best bib-shorts I ever had, were a pair of "Series" - which I believe had old-season Assos chamois in them... Made in Bulgaria, or some odd place Balkan side, if i recall correctly... They weren't too expensive - and soooper comfy... Wish I knew where to get hold of a few pairs again... Anyone?