Cycling SA, what the flip were you thinking???

DB28

So, was watching u23 world champs today. Interesting race... Pretty large group at the end with most of the sprinters present. Couldn't help but wonder how J jv Rensburg would have fared in the sprint? The guy is in the form of his life, prob the strongest rider in the SA peleton at the moment...

When the uci announced the nation rider allocations for WC, RSA was allocated 4 spots. I stand to be corrected but according to the UCI regulations which most people and I think even CSA didn't realise was that we actually also have the African Continental u23 champ (JjvRensburg) who automatically qualifies over and above our allowed 4 riders. So in essence we could have sent a total of 5 riders... Yet we sent 0, zip, zero, uno! Did I miss something, some small print somewhere perhaps? Surely we should've sent our boys 2 compete...

Come on CSA...!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frail4Life

I hear there is some SA Ladies that are racing. Start at 05Hoo (SA time) in the Morning Saturday.

because the guys have to pay for it themselves, thats why no one went

So what exactly is my Licensing fee paying for? I would have at least thought some of it would got to this sort of thing - CSA waste ot time & money. Also why do I have to joined with them to ride MTB races. Another organisation gone bad:angry:

I'ts all part of CSA's new "2020 vision" its the same problem with junior girls, we have a good group of Juniors coming through, but not one girl was sent to the Junior worlds road and TT in Canada, parents have even offered to cover the costs themselves but still the answer is no.

Under 23 boys, we send them all to GP des Nations, but the one glaringly obvious objective for any rider is World Championships.

I'ts all part of CSA's new "2020 vision" its the same problem with junior girls, we have a good group of Juniors coming through, but not one girl was sent to the Junior worlds road and TT in Canada, parents have even offered to cover the costs themselves but still the answer is no.

Under 23 boys, we send them all to GP des Nations, but the one glaringly obvious objective for any rider is World Championships.

I wonder what vision that is? Its rididculous. There is no support for grass roots development in sports these days. Its all about bloddy rugby, cricket and soccer(which we are terrible at any way) No wonder some of our top athletes leave the country:angry:

because the guys have to pay for it themselves, thats why no one went

I think you pretty much summed it up.

I was hoping to be at 24 hour Worlds this year, simply can't afford it .

This was CSA's answer to my question via twitter...

roadCyclingSA

@BoetMurphy U23's

didn't qualify via our

criteria. Rather spend

R100k on 3months

intnl races than on a

one day race when not

on winning form

This was CSA's answer to my question via twitter...

roadCyclingSA

@BoetMurphy U23's

didn't qualify via our

criteria. Rather spend

R100k on 3months

intnl races than on a

one day race when not

on winning form

What does that actually mean? :unsure:

It means that they have no idea what we are talking about, never mind what they are talking about, and they would rather spend R100k on taking officials and their families to some international races in the next three months.

:D :D :D

It also means that being good locally doesn't mean you'll compete with the best internationally.

It means that they have no idea what we are talking about, never mind what they are talking about, and they would rather spend R100k on taking officials and their families to some international races in the next three months.

:D :D :D

Twats, here we were thinking its was just the government that were corupt - Still would like to know what CSA actually does for the fees we have paid for. And why should I have to pay for them to be able to ride a MTB race - I get absolutly nothing out of it.

Is it so the family can go overseas with these officials, who are these officials anyway. I dont even get a weekly/monthly email from them? Informing me of any developments with cycling in SA - Bollocks to them I say - I think we need to have a toyi toyi outside their offices burning our CSA cards and demanding answers;)

Im just thinking, why doesnt all of our national champs go? Evans can time trial at an ave over 50 at national chams, he jurt won clover tour? He is clearly on form. Our u23 national champions also didnt pitch? But I guess it also comes down to that there is very little national pride left and the few that would love to represent are deemend not good enough.

Im just thinking, why doesnt all of our national champs go? Evans can time trial at an ave over 50 at national chams, he jurt won clover tour? He is clearly on form. Our u23 national champions also didnt pitch? But I guess it also comes down to that there is very little national pride left and the few that would love to represent are deemend not good enough.

Its just so so sad:( Someone needs to take responsibilty for the shambles thats going on, or do they all just play the blame game? :unsure:

- I think we need to have a toyi toyi outside their offices burning our CSA cards and demanding answers;)

+1

The playing field is not level. Our riders are at a disadvantage, they will struggle to beat Euro pro's unless they are on a structured blood doping program, or a way is found to stop blood doping.

There are some other problems as well - the races in Europe all have 180km - 200km longest distance, even the local town fun rides. The routes also include more challenging climbs. Need more races like the Jock!