Bike Computer

tinkerbell

It depend on how much you want to spend.

If you have the $$$ i would get a Garmin. my sence of direction suck :( so this helps me when i want to do a route that we dit as a group.

It also gives me confidence to try new routes.

I want to buy a decent computer for my MTB.

What should I buy?

What should I look out for?

Lots of people are saying "Ooooohhh!!! Buy a Garmin!!".

No prizes for guessing what they bought then.

But tell us a bit more about what you want know Tinkerbell.

Speed, ride distance, ave speed and total distance are given, but do you want to see cadence too?

Do you want GPS info?

Do you want to download and analyse the data? (Look at pretty graphs!)

Do you want to know about your heart rate while you ride?

How important is device memory?

Battery life?

Definately a MAC person!

As far as features, I want it all!

I have a very basic heart rate monitor at the moment, would be great to know how much climbing still to be done in a race and to monitor my training, etc, etc, etc.

I am looking at the Garmin 705?

Definately a MAC person!

As far as features, I want it all!

I have a very basic heart rate monitor at the moment, would be great to know how much climbing still to be done in a race and to monitor my training, etc, etc, etc.

I am looking at the Garmin 705?

wow go big or go home.

Common File for all Structural runs

Now my personal opinion.

The 705 looks like the perfect gps training devise. If you have the $$$.

I don’t think you will use all the added features when doing mountain biking like using the maps, if you were on the road it is a completely different story.

I think the 305 or the 500 series will be better suited for MTB, but i stand to be corrected.

When you get a Garmin, be sure to get the sporttracks (zone five) software.

Is there a bike "computer" that does it all yet - Like a Garmin, that does heart rate, etc etc. An all in one? :unsure: Thats what I want to add to my list for Santa :)

Is there a bike "computer" that does it all yet - Like a Garmin, that does heart rate, etc etc. An all in one? :unsure: Thats what I want to add to my list for Santa :)

Edge 500 and 705 (and maybe 800?) come close. They have all the basic features and the areas they lack mainly concern high end features e.g. they don't display TSS or NP for power training.

Edge 500 and 705 (and maybe 800?) come close. They have all the basic features and the areas they lack mainly concern high end features e.g. they don't display TSS or NP for power training.

ok... please explain to blondie what TSS and NP stands for... :rolleyes:

what about Suunto?

If its mainly for MTB then the 500 is ideal, i would not reccomend the 305 as they have a habit of cutting out and require open heart unit surgery to fix the battery connectors. The bike mount for the 305 is also suspect but i hear they have improved this now.

Wouldn't touch a 305 again - had 3 that packed up. Got a 705 under warranty and not one problem since. I hear 500 better if you don't need GPS function.