Drive train upgrade:Shimano or SRAM

PYGA1

Hi All,

I am looking at upgrading my current drive train from Shimano SLX to either 10 speed XT or SRAM.

I have always used Shimano, haven't been unhappy but haven't been blown away either.

I don't know much about SRAM, but it seems to be getting great reviews.

What is the SRAM equivalent of XT? and what is the price comparison like? Also if I go SRAM do I go 2x10 or not, I quite like my granny gear at times!

oi Big H. w2g encouraging the blinkered approach.

I'm not conversant with Shimano vs SRAM, but off the interwebs, the consensus seems to be as follows:

X-7 - LX

X-9 - XT

X-0 - XTR

As for 2x10, no idea there.

It should be like why go SRAM as oppose to Shimano and vice versa.is one make better then the other, what are costs & performance like - I would be interested to now this too.:unsure: Ive always gone with Shimano cause its what I know, I know of SRAM but dont know if its better or worse?

Sram X9 2x10 all the way.

You wont look back and yes you still get a granny gear with 2x10!

You can even get a 36T!

Is there anybody who has ridden both and can give a direct comparison?

I mostly race marathons, but do the occasional stage race, doing 3 Towers and Joberg2C, so my criteria are reliability & durability & smooth shifting, not concerned much about weight.

if you want the best then this is it:

Shifters and rear der.: SRAM (X9/X0)

Crankset and front der.: Shimano (XT)

chain and cassette: Shimano (XT)

brakes: you choose btw Avid(SRAM), shimano, hope, formula etc

cables: Gore ride on

(and if you can Chris King BB)

I've had both but all SRAM now since I like Twisters (not yet available for 10 speed), SRAM chain and cassettes as well.

If going SRAM spend a bit extra for the X0 RD - it's a much better design that X9.

Also SRAM has 1:1 actuation ratio which means more accurate and easily tunable gears.

if you want the best then this is it:

Shifters and rear der.: SRAM (X9/X0)

Crankset and front der.: Shimano (XT)

chain and cassette: Shimano (XT)

brakes: you choose btw Avid(SRAM), shimano, hope, formula etc

cables: Gore ride on

(and if you can Chris King BB)

Must agree with Bwana. Just sold my Epic with similar setup and won't change from SRAM! Components 3 years old and still as smooth as day one. The X0 rear derailluer is bulletproof and smooth as! XT crank. Took my new ride, Stumpy expert with same setup to Slanghoek - extremely rocky with ups and downs rapid fire didnt miss a beat