Should I buy this MTB?What is a reasonable price?

AndrewF

It’s a trek Fuel 9.0 SLR (super light racing) 2005 model Aliminum

Size: 21 inch (Large)

Rims: Bontager Superstock

Tyres: Brand new maxxis cross mark

Rear Shock: Fox Foat racing

Front Shock: Manitou elite

Shifters: Shimano LX Deore

Rear DR: Shimano XT

Front DR: Shimano LX

Avid Cantilever Brakes

SPD pedals

Cateye comp

Thanks in advance for your input Hubbers!

post-17210-015546800 1287127317.jpg

it would help if you can provide some info on what type of mtb riding your want to do social, weekend warrior, racing? your mtb skills and why your were thinking of a full susser. also how much is the bike being sold for? i think maybe 3500

That bike looks as old as the mountains. I would not pay much more than R3k-R3.5k for it. Even that seems a bit expensive since a decent service on the bike will set you back a bit.

He was asking 7k, but i've got him down to 3.6k...

I know it's old. I own a Commencal meta 5.5 - this bike is a gift for a good mate (want to get him into the sport)

Agreed, bike needs lots of work, see rear shock...

Apparently both shocks have been serviced in the last year... It may just be dirty?

He was asking 7k, but i've got him down to 3.6k...

I know it's old. I own a Commencal meta 5.5 - this bike is a gift for a good mate (want to get him into the sport)

Hes havin a laugh for 7k,even 3.6k is too much. Even he knows he was takin a chance at 7k. Walk away I say, look for something else. How much were you planning to spend anyway?

Hes havin a laugh for 7k,even 3.6k is too much. Even he knows he was takin a chance at 7k. Walk away I say, look for something else. How much were you planning to spend anyway?

Well, as stated, it's a gift for a mate. So not keen to spend more than 4k at the most...

Specs wise, the bike looks fairly decent. Reckon the fork isn't too bad???

If the shock has been serviced then ask him where and through whom. This sounds and look dodgey .If the oke had at least TRIED to clean and service the bike then it'd look like he is serious, but with a photo like that, mmmmm.... Walk away I say.

Maybe suggest to your mate you will pay R4000 and he contributes a bit to it too. Then possibly get something better from the hub. Youre a nice mate by the way, I wont even let my mates borrow my other bike :clap:

If the shock has been serviced then ask him where and through whom. This sounds and look dodgey .If the oke had at least TRIED to clean and service the bike then it'd look like he is serious, but with a photo like that, mmmmm.... Walk away I say.

Ok - so the story is, he is a mate of my CEO. Couple months ago fell at Emmarentia and ended up in ICU for 2.5 weeks. Broken ribs, collar bone, collapsed lung - HARD CORE. Now getting out of MTB'ing

So know he's not a dodgey guy at all