Bicycle upgrade - What value does it add?

Weebo

Hi guys,

I am a rookie and I have been road cycling for a few months now and cosidering forking out some cash for the BBD. I would like to know, other than the obvious reduction in weight, what other benefits to ugrading bicycles and/or its components (besides the eye candy and ego)?

This is an awesome site.

Thanks

hey Weebo...

why don't you start by telling us what you've currently got on your bike, and then we can advise you on what would be the best to upgrade...

Also, what is your budget?

Hi guys,

I am a rookie and I have been road cycling for a few months now and cosidering forking out some cash for the BBD. I would like to know, other than the obvious reduction in weight, what other benefits to ugrading bicycles and/or its components (besides the eye candy and ego)?

This is an awesome site.

Thanks

A bit of a general question but here goes:

1) Like you said - weight - it's the most common reason for an upgrade.

2) Bling/aesthetics - almost as common as the first reason (mostly in conjunction with the first reason).

3) Mechanical integrity - often more expensive parts have better bearings, seals, materials so they will last longer, shift smoother, move more quietly or a combination of those factors.

4) Aerodynamics - triathletes and some roadies like parts to shift through the air faster (lower spoke count wheels or bladed spokes).

If you are considering upgrading - do some homework and see if it wouldn't be cheaper to sell your whole bike and upgrade - often whole bike upgrades are cheaper and you don't end up with loads of spares cluttering up your garage.

Consider other upgrades too - lighter helmet is easier on the neck, better shorts are easier on the derriere, stiffer shoes add performance, better glasses mean less red eyes etc.

Hey Fandacious,

I have a Giant TCR Team Once replica - allu frame, carbon fork (the yellow one) :). Full campy chorus drive train (10 speed) except the front derailer which is Shimano 105, Campy wheels (forgot the name) and a Selle Italia saddle.

Unfortunately my budget is directly realted to the value I can get for my current bike. Which would my next question.

I play golf and thought that was expensive, but then I started this ...... :clap:

What you've got sounds pretty good, so no real reason to upgrade unless your components are nearing the end of their life due to lack of maintenance.

You need to give the name of the wheels. Campy wheels can range from ~R1500 to many many many thousands more

You don't state the age of the parts, but being 10sp, they can't be too old. The parts are also top drawer stuff, so any upgrade you are planning will have minimal performace gain, but maximum self gratification gain (nothing nicer than getting new parts)

The only upgrade you need is a full carbon frame, then again, there is a big debate as to whether carbon is all that it is made out to be. Other than a slightly smoother ride, you probably wouldn't feel the difference to your aluminium frame anyway.

My opinion, if you want to upgrade, go ahead.........the performance advantage would be minimal (if any), but you will feel good and that is worth at least 5 minutes time gain on your next 100km race.