Garmin 500 - multiple senders

kosmonooit

Just a quik one: I just got my second candence/speed transmitter for the my Garmin 500 to use on my road bike, what's involved in setting it up to work on two bikes? (obviously not at the same time)

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the 500, but I am running an Edge 305 on my mtb and road bike and I needed to pair the second speed sensor the same way as I paired the first one. There should be a step by step process in the manual.

It's simple. Install the second sensor on your road bike. Spin the wheel and cranks a couple of times to wake up the sensor. Turn on the Edge and wait for it to detect the sensor.

If you want it to pick up the sensor quicker in the future, create a second bike profile on the Edge and then do all of the above again. The individual profiles seem to tell it to look for that specific sensor first. If it can't find it, it then starts looking for other sensors.

If you still have difficulty go into the ANT+ menu on the Edge and select to 'Restart scan' option under cadence sensor (or at least, that's how it works on the 705).

Thanks I will read the docs just wanted an idea as to what I am in for. Must say I am impressed with the device so far.

Edited by kosmonooit

Thanks I will read the docs just wanted an idea as to what I am in for. Must say I am impressed with the device so dar.

Hay Kosmonooit!

It is good to hear you have a edge 500! :thumbup:

You must bring it along to the Lord of the Chain Rings, we will be downloading the routes on your device as courses. We don't want people to get lost unnecessarily :unsure:

and it will instill some confidence along the trail if you know precisely where on the route you are.

Start practicing to use the courses function so long!

Go to Settings

Bike Settings

Bike 1 or whatever you named you bike

Bike Details

ANT+ Spd/Cad

Sensor Present - yes

Restart scan

Setup a different profile for each bike, easier that way.

There is just no short cut to change bike profiles which sucks and I have raised the issue with garmin.

On the 305 you could just hold the menu button and a drop down would appear - Bike 1 / 2 / or 3 - easy

Not with the 500.

I have 3 different bike profiles setup, each bike with its own sensors. Chop and change between the bikes often and really miss that shortcut!

Whenever I forget to swap profiles, I get reminded quickly when there are no cadence displaying, which is a nice reminder. Now if the can take it a step further and let you download your workout to the correct bike profile in SportTrack automatically - that would be coooooool!

Please,I would like to know, with an edge 500, if I have 1 powertap on MTB and 1 another powertap on road bike, how will the 500 deal with it? will it have to be paired everytime or will it do it automatically as part of changing bike profile?

I think the sensors pair to the relevant bike profile, just switching between profiles is a pain in the proverbial

Edited by kosmonooit

Please,I would like to know, with an edge 500, if I have 1 powertap on MTB and 1 another powertap on road bike, how will the 500 deal with it? will it have to be paired everytime or will it do it automatically as part of changing bike profile?

On the 705 it automatically changes based on the profile.

I also struggled to get used to Garmin 500 because the set-up is different. I wish there was someone who can help me out with set-up!

Easy!

Create a profile for each bike - name the profiles Racing/Training/Mtb - whatever.

Pair your ANT devices of each bike while in the profile.

When you get on whatever bike just go menu> settings> bike settings> (second option will display your chosen bike name, choose that) then

Bike details> Drop down list then give you 3 profiles

choose your bike!

Then hold in Menu to return to the main screen > START PEDALING!

It will pickup all your ANT devices paired with each bike profile automatically.

You can go as far as to have a separate heart rate strap, cadence sensor and power tap for each bike