Niner EMD or On-One Scandal?

Rob Mortimer

I have pretty much decided on one of the above two frames for building myself a 29er. Only 29er experience I have is my GT Peace SS. Need help in deciding between the two though - not too concerned in the relatively small price difference between the two frames - more interested in handling, geometry, comfort and enjoyment factors.

Prefer doing trail type riding, marathons (60 - 80km) and multi-day stage races (80 - 100km a day), not really interested in XC. Will definitely be putting on a shock up front (probably a RST M29 but no final decision as yet)and SRAM X9 groupset, the rest of the build is still up in the air.

Any opinions from guys who have ridden both or either would be appreciated.

:thumbup:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents.

I was also considering these two and looked at reviews for both the Scandal and the EMD on mtbr.com as well as What Mountain Bike. From this, both the EMD and the Scandal came out tops. I also chatted to riders of either wherever I came across them and from this too the EMD & Scandal seemed equally good.

As it seemed as if you couldn't go wrong with either the Scandal got the nod because it's so much cheaper.

Now the caveat - frame sizes and colours are limited on the Scandal and I couldn't get what I was looking for.

So if your size and colour preference is available, the Scandal, otherwise the EMD may be it, but I'm also eyeing the Giant now, largely based on what I get for my money.

Linden Cycles at one point indicated a price around R16k with Fox fork and all.

Go for the Scandal with the horizontal drop outs as you can then go SS, which YOU WILL want to try out when going 29r :thumbup: and it is quick to change over.

Run my Scandal both as SS or 1x9 and have not had a need for any more gears (ok on the flats you may spin out)

Only other thing is to test ride the frame size first, thought i needed a 18" but ended up with 19.5" and is the best fitting bike i have had.

Go for the scandal and use the price difference saved to buy a Rockshox Reba instead of the RST M29. The reba is about 600g lighter and outperforms the M29 on every aspect(I used a M29 for a year and have a reba on my new 29er).

Thanks all - especially the info regarding the shock. What is the travel on the Reba - wouldn't think that I need much more than 100mm, if not 80mm?

I think I am slowly leaning towards the Scandal - there is a great looking one on the Show your mtb thread (Boris?)

Think there are only British green available in the Scandal at the moment and have not yet decided if I like the color or not. I do think the EMD in the red tamale looks pretty hot though.

Another question: XT or American Classic wheels? Personally think the XT's will hold up a little better, not that my wife has ever had a problem with her AC's (I am a little more "wild" I guess). Weight is not a real issue - probably achieve far more by losing some of me rather than the bike?

Get Asmclassics from me, I can give you a great price on them and I have used them myself through Epic and they are awesome light and strong wheels.

Get Asmclassics from me, I can give you a great price on them and I have used them myself through Epic and they are awesome light and strong wheels.

What is your price on the AM's (including shipping - I am in Pta)?

Trek Fan I cn do an awesome deal on Gipiemme Kenya CX Rubeless 29er wheels for you. Based in Sandton so can deliver them for you :) 1490g with rider limit of 105 kgs so super strong! Price is R4500.00

Trek Fan I cn do an awesome deal on Gipiemme Kenya CX Rubeless 29er wheels for you. Based in Sandton so can deliver them for you :) 1490g with rider limit of 105 kgs so super strong! Price is R4500.00

Don't know them at all - give me some time to find out more and will get back to you

Check out the website www.gipiemme.com

They are excellent wheels and there are great reviews out on them :) Also built with the best components. Sapim CX Ray Bladed spokes as standard :)

Given that I am Niner slut - I am going to recommend the EMD.

I rode the Scandal frame and it just feels a bit limp/loose. The EMD and Air both feel snappier and sharper out of turns, on the gas and it seems to provide a more stable decsending platform. My personal opinion of course - I know guys that prefer the Scandal. I am a marathon and XC race snake though so I'd happily give up a bit of comfort for extra speed.

And while we're selling wheels - I have a pair of XTR hubbed, Velocity VXC rimmed, red alu nippled, DT spoked wheels for R3,800. Rotors are included (140mm front - 160mm rear Shimano centre lock) as well as Joe No Flats strips and 2 "brand new" Conti Mtn King 2.4 tyres (I've done about 8km on them). They weigh in roughly the same as the American Classics - 1600g/pair.

I only found mention of 26" wheelsets on the website? Can you give me some links to reviews as well please

what about looking at a Momsen Twen-9-al frame, for the price (R2750) you can afford a great fork and an even greater set of wheels......

One things that drive me nutty is manufacturers like Gipiemme and American Classic that write "tubeless" across their wheels when they are not.

Both Gipiemme and American Classic have strips covering the spoke holes - that aint tubeless man - thats a normal rim with a semi permanent strip.

A goood example of tubeless is the Shimano 29er wheel - the rim has no holes - no strip needed - that is a true tubeless wheel...

Phew - I feel much better now :D