Niner EMD or On-One Scandal?

Rob Mortimer

what about looking at a Momsen Twen-9-al frame, for the price (R2750) you can afford a great fork and an even greater set of wheels......

It's a GREAT value for money frame but at nearly 2kg for the medium frame - it doesn't make for a great start to a light bike...

The EMD and Scandal will be around 400g lighter.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that I am Niner slut - I am going to recommend the EMD.

I rode the Scandal frame and it just feels a bit limp/loose. The EMD and Air both feel snappier and sharper out of turns, on the gas and it seems to provide a more stable decsending platform. My personal opinion of course - I know guys that prefer the Scandal. I am a marathon and XC race snake though so I'd happily give up a bit of comfort for extra speed.

And while we're selling wheels - I have a pair of XTR hubbed, Velocity VXC rimmed, red alu nippled, DT spoked wheels for R3,800. Rotors are included (140mm front - 160mm rear Shimano centre lock) as well as Joe No Flats strips and 2 "brand new" Conti Mtn King 2.4 tyres (I've done about 8km on them). They weigh in roughly the same as the American Classics - 1600g/pair.

Any pic's available - gather they are not listed in the classifieds as I could not find them.

See you rate the American Classic as well (one of the for sale threads)- how do yours and the AM's compare?

2kg?? howzers, ok, scrap that............I had the same toss up last year between the same 2 frames, I decided to blow the budget and go with the EMD, but then there was availability issues and ended up getting the Scandal, which I was happy with but I did keep thinking, what if?

Perhaps take your time and get the EMD, its a classy frame with lots of trail cred (like street cred but off road :) )

the right frame will outlast most of the components......

It's a GREAT value for money frame but at nearly 2kg for the medium frame - it doesn't make for a great start to a light bike...

The EMD and Scandal will be around 400g lighter.

Had a look at the Momsen as well (was on my short list) - I especially like the green and white combo. Main problem IMO is it is a new frame - no-one has ridden it and no where can I find any ridden reviews/opinions on the bike

Any pic's available - gather they are not listed in the classifieds as I could not find them.

See you rate the American Classic as well (one of the for sale threads)- how do yours and the AM's compare?

Here are some pics - I haven't listed them yet...

I rate the AMs quite highly - with one exception - the "tubeless" rim strip delaminated and resulted in a very messy me and a DNF - hence my rant above...I ran a few metres of Joes No Flats tape and all is well now.

I reckon the XTR hubs will outlast the AMs but the AM wheels seem to roll better...

Tough call - ultimately I decided on the AM wheelset because the white rims looked better on my bike. Wheel weights are almost identical on the two wheelsets.

post-2412-068844400 1287595428.jpg

post-2412-057830200 1287595446.jpg

post-2412-054237800 1287595463.jpg

post-2412-088528200 1287595482.jpg

In other news - when Shimano finally get round to making an XTR 29er wheelset I'll definitely upgrade to those...

Hmmmmm just a thought - won't the Giant XTC 29er be better value than the EMD or Scandal? The EMD/Scandal are both built kit bikes where the Giant is fully built out of the box - should be excellent value for money!

I tested the Momsen carbon , which is not released yet. I also rode a Niner and a Scott Alu. The Momsen is far superior. It's light and has internal cable routing. The test bike has Stans no tubes rims and SRam XO 2*10. I think it will be worth the wait

good thing JHB Metro not around here - a lot of hijacking going on... and not even the decency to claim it!

I'd like to know in what way the Momsen was 'far superior'....just as a matter of interest?

Back to the original question....I have ridden both bikes in question and while the Scandal is a great bike, the EMD definitely has the edge when it comes to handling. It, and the Giant XTC, are the only 29er bikes I've ridden that feel as snappy and flickable as a good handling 26er. The Scandal just felt a bit sluggish in the corners.

So, if handling is a big concern, I'd go with the EMD. The difference in price might not be worth it to some, but for someone like myself that places handling and feel at the top of my list of requirements in a frame, it would be. It's a personal thing.

If value for money plays a part, the XTC would take the cake. It's an awesome package and a great riding bike. The new 2011 bikes look even better with slightly better spec. Not sure about the pricing though.

good thing JHB Metro not around here - a lot of hijacking going on... and not even the decency to claim it!

It's edumacation man!

Now he knows the Momsen is a really cheap lead weight, where to buy several sets of 29er wheels, the term tubeless is meaningless and that Momsen has a sweet carbon frame on the horizon...

What else does anyone need to know????

It's edumacation man!

Now he knows the Momsen is a really cheap lead weight, where to buy several sets of 29er wheels, the term tubeless is meaningless and that Momsen has a sweet carbon frame on the horizon...

What else does anyone need to know????

Tomorrow we will post some pics of the REAL frame weights of the MOMSEN TWEN9AL frames in stock. Then he will also know what the frames actually weigh.

And yes, the CARBON SL929 is going to be worth the weight...

Tomorrow we will post some pics of the REAL frame weights of the MOMSEN TWEN9AL frames in stock. Then he will also know what the frames actually weigh.

And yes, the CARBON SL929 is going to be worth the weight...

It will be interesting to see how the real weights compare to your post:

"Frames are in stock. Suggested retail is R 2750 incl VAT ( Frame + FSA Taper 1.1/2" to 1.5" headset ).

Full details at: http://www.momsenbik...m?frame=TWEN9AL

Frame Weight: 1.97kg ( Medium )

"

2kg for a frame struck me as too heavy - thats around 25% heavier than the EMD and Scandal which both use similar alu specs to yours...

Bring on the truth - frame on scale man!

It will be interesting to see how the real weights compare to your post:

"Frames are in stock. Suggested retail is R 2750 incl VAT ( Frame + FSA Taper 1.1/2" to 1.5" headset ).

Full details at: http://www.momsenbik...m?frame=TWEN9AL

Frame Weight: 1.97kg ( Medium )

"

2kg for a frame struck me as too heavy - thats around 25% heavier than the EMD and Scandal which both use similar alu specs to yours...

Bring on the truth - frame on scale man!

Frame on scale - tomorrow. I think 25% is not quite accurate.

Alu material may be similar but both the EMD and Scandal are using some very "basic" tubing shapes aka - ROUND.

Being a 2011 model we wanted to come out with something a bit more contemporary. There have been some great advances in Alloy frame technology in the last 2 years.

Our frame features some heavily formed and manipulated tube profiles. The Taper Headtube , whilst creating a stiffer front end , unfortunately also adds some weight over the old style straight threadless tube.

Not sure who is producing the NINER and ON-ONE frames for those brands, but the MOMSEN is produced by KINESIS - probably the best alloy frame manufacturer in the industry.

Our tube profiles were carefully chosen to ensure a stiff, reasonable weight and don't forget, very affordable, 29er frame option that can take a beating. Toptube is triple butted, as is the seattube. Downtube was however switched to a PLAIN GAUGE 1.8mm thickness tube for strength.

The chainstays are quite unique in that they are using Kinesis's exclusive SPF ( Superplastic Forming ) technology to create a formed and varied thickness stay.

Being a new brand on the market, we unfortunately don't have all the cool write-ups in the magazines - but we plan to change that.

still think the momsen looks like a cool option, maybe a little heavy, but the price is awesome......I'm so tired of seeing overpriced kit thats no more better than kit half the price......