Niner EMD or On-One Scandal?

Rob Mortimer

No problem with all the hijacks - as Eldron correctly says it is education.

The problem posing an open ended question like I did is that where I was looking at two options I now have four frames/bikes to consider and three different wheel sets.

I will have look at the Giant today (read the Tread article but don't have it here with me) and will wait in anticipation for the Momsen detail to be posted.

Thanks to everyone for some constructive and informative comments all the same

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alu material may be similar but both the EMD and Scandal are using some very "basic" tubing shapes aka - ROUND.

Mr. Momsen - much as you want to wax lyrical about your products (and are obviously very proud of them) you might want to actually have a look at your competitor's frames before you make make such brash statements.

Rule number one of marketing - don't knock your competitor's products...

Mr. Momsen - much as you want to wax lyrical about your products (and are obviously very proud of them) you might want to actually have a look at your competitor's frames before you make make such brash statements.

Rule number one of marketing - don't knock your competitor's products...

Eldron, that is not knocking someone else's product -- merely stating the difference between the tubes. Theirs are round. Ours are formed into shapes. I have the greatest respect for NINER, after all they are one of the main reasons we have a market in SA now for 29ers?

Eldron, that is not knocking someone else's product -- merely stating the difference between the tubes. Theirs are round. Ours are formed into shapes. I have the greatest respect for NINER, after all they are one of the main reasons we have a market in SA now for 29ers?

If you respect them you really should look at the frames:

Here is a nice Niner frame with nary a round tube to be seen...and a pic of the AIR/EMD rear triangle - Niner call it ovalised S-bend but I guess "round" is a better description, oh and a tapered head tube - thats like yours right? Totally round....

Here's a silly question - you said your tubes are triple butted? Well mechanically speaking butting is done to save weight in areas where less strength is needed - so your tubes are triple butted to save weight and yet your frames are around 400g heavier? What?

Okay I'm slipping into "slag off Momsen frames" mode which is not cool - I guess the point of this post is help you see technology clearly rather than try to blow smoke up the butts of potential buyers with marketing terms when you should really be saying "our frames fight in the heavy weight division but they are the right price for someone entering the 29er market".

I still don't understand why they are so heavy - the Niner EMD is 3.5lb (1.59kg) and the Scandal is around the same. Yours are 1.88-2kg with triple butted tubes!!! Kinesis welders must lay on loads of material putting them together... either that or they add extra material because the hydroforming technology is less precise than straight drawing.

THAT said - I think R2750 for a 29er frame (no matter what the weight) is a fine product - it has no competitor in that range and if it gets bums on 29er saddles I'm happy.

Phew - and tired of typing...

post-2412-014273400 1287651089.jpg

post-2412-087637600 1287651415.jpg

post-2412-001521000 1287651423.gif

wow........thanks for the honest weights there, not many manufacturer's commit to divulging weights, for interest my small Scandal was 1625g.......

still happy to see guys bring product in at great prices.......

Hey Guys

I have got both a Scandal & a EMD.I have also done a number of builds with both brands.

They are both awesome brands with great quality & fantastic geometry.I think the Scandal is great value for money but I must say I find the EMD in a league of its own.Niner really has the geometry dialled in & just excells at anything you throw at it.

As for the RST fork,I swear by it & use it on most of 29ers I build & even on my own bikes.For the price you pay,you cant go wrong.I dont Know if 600grams is worth a extra 2.5K?Plus the Rst is really easy to work on & the parts a very well priced.I actually find the RSTs provide a really comfy ride & instill confidence to hit some pretty Knarly terrain plus the remote lock out works really well.

Don't know if I would go with the Carbon frame for the type of riding I do but I am interested in the Titanium frame the On-One will be bring out soon. Funny feeling that both are going to be pretty expensive though?

I have an RST fork (don't think it is the M29 though)on the GT Peace and it does the job adequately for me as well. The RST's seem to get good reviews on mtbr's site - guess shock feel etc is almost as controversial and a matter of personal choice as with saddles

That is a very sweet looking Niner :D

Hey Guys

I have got both a Scandal & a EMD.I have also done a number of builds with both brands.

They are both awesome brands with great quality & fantastic geometry.I think the Scandal is great value for money but I must say I find the EMD in a league of its own.Niner really has the geometry dialled in & just excells at anything you throw at it.

As for the RST fork,I swear by it & use it on most of 29ers I build & even on my own bikes.For the price you pay,you cant go wrong.I dont Know if 600grams is worth a extra 2.5K?Plus the Rst is really easy to work on & the parts a very well priced.I actually find the RSTs provide a really comfy ride & instill confidence to hit some pretty Knarly terrain plus the remote lock out works really well.

Pedal pusher,

Is the Spot-on-bikes your business?

If so you are probably the person I should be talking to in terms of this build, can you PM me so that we can talk via email?