Second Hand Bicycles

GuyduS

Guest agteros

Caveat emptor comes to mind.

So you want the seller to fit the bike for you (at his/her expense) and then possibly decide not to take it... Nobody will deal on those terms...

Rather do your homework about the bike/frame and sizing before meeting. Check it over properly at the meet (even measure it!), test ride it and if it is not 100% comfortable, walk away from the deal. Remember that fitting a bike is not a dark science, it starts with being comfortable on the bike.

i love buying second hand bike parts and bikes because the price of new components and bikes are so rediculous i almost fall over everytime in enter a retail store, you need to be careful yes, but the reward when you find a bargain is just too good. second hand parts and bikes make it soo much more affordable to those without big wallets.

Bad luck but I am sure the seller meant well. I have had nothing but great buys on this forum and my latest acquisition, a Pinnerelo Paris, bought site unseen from Spinnekop, is everything I could ask for :D

Insist on having the bike fitted and serviced at a trusted dealer of your choice and at the expense of the seller and before any money changes hands.

Did you not measure the bike before buying it as there are many ways to measure a frame. :o

At the risk of insulting you - there are at least a million sites in the internet that offer frame fitting advice.

An hour on the net could have saved you a lot of money...

In today's "f*ck you mate I'm ok" society self education is a must. Hell - most bike shops don't have a clue how to fix and size bikes. Trusting anyone but yourself to size and repair your bike is asking for a world of pain.

Here's what 30 seconds of searching yielded:

http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/a/bike_sizing.htm

http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/a/bike_size_hub.htmhttp://www.ehow.com/how_14104_determine-correct-frame.htmlhttp://www.ebicycles.com/article/bicycle-frame-size-charts.html

At the risk of starting a rant - why don't more people on thehub use Google? How often are there "whats the difference between xt and xtr?", "what is the right size bike for my girlfriend" and "how much does an ultegra set of wheels weigh" style questions? C'mon people the info is available at the click of a few buttons...

I am a unique snowflake. My questions are special. It's inconceivable that any of the 6+ billion other people on Earth, faced with the same product choices as me, could ever have the same problems as I do. What would be the point of Googling for such a rare thing. I am the first person to want to buy from CRC. I am the first to wear out my chain. I am the first to want to ride a 29er.

Edited by Edman

[quote name= why don't more people on thehub use Google? How often are there "whats the difference between xt and xtr?", "what is the right size bike for my girlfriend" and "how much does an ultegra set of wheels weigh" style questions? C'mon people the info is available at the click of a few buttons...

What is the purpose of belonging to a forum then and interacting with funny different people like yourself who like to rant? Google is too impersonal.

I am a unique snowflake. My questions are special. It's inconceivable that any of the 6+ billion other people on Earth, faced with the same product choices as me, could ever have the same problems as I do. What would be the point of Googling for such a rare thing. I am the first person to want to buy from CRC. I am the first to wear out my chain. I am the first to want to ride a 29er.

Did you google that, or should I google your reply to my answer that google already knows :unsure:

Just to clear up a few things...

I meant that the seller should be prepared to pay for the service, not the fitting. (My bad). Its all very well if he says he has had it serviced, what proof is there? If it has been serviced, another check up won't be very expensive, if it turns out to be expensive, there was probably something left out of the previous service or some worn out part that the buyer would end up having to pay for soon. If I buy a bike, I want to take into account anything I'm going to have to spend on it in the near future, either by negotiating the price, or having the extra expenses included in the price. Biggest thing is to know what I'm getting.

As for measuring the bike, I would definitely do that now... I went according to the sizing quoted and was wrong...rookie mistake, but from what I see here, I'm not the first to make it.

Thanks for all the comments!

If we all just Googled what we wanted to know, there would be fewer and fewer forums like this with answers, and eventually Google wouldn't come up with any useful advice...

I suppose that would cause more people to ask questions in forums and there would be answers again... It becomes a self balancing system.

If you don't like the forum, don't read it or post replies! Its a free world... in this case anyway.

Guest agteros

If we all just Googled what we wanted to know, there would be fewer and fewer forums like this with answers, and eventually Google wouldn't come up with any useful advice...

I suppose that would cause more people to ask questions in forums and there would be answers again... It becomes a self balancing system.

If you don't like the forum, don't read it or post replies! Its a free world... in this case anyway.

Well said!

Just another tip, you have to make sure what measurement the manufacturer uses to size its bikes - best is to check geometry on the websites. Pinarello typically measures their bikes c to c on the seat tube. which would make probably make the bike in question a 57cm, which is very large bicycle. I rode a 51,5cm Pinarello F4:13, which seems like a small bike. The top tube was 54cm.

Bianchi have also been measuring their bikes by the top tube lately, like most American bikes.

If you intend buying a second hand bike, measure the effective top tube and compare to what you have.

Pity about the lost cash dude....

Got to agree with Bontie. A lot of sellers will guess the size of the bike or just read it of the sticker somewhere on the bike. There is no standard when it comes to bike sizing charts. Each manufacturer uses their own, thats why some medium bike may actually be a large or vise versa.

By taking your own measuring tape along, you will have piece of mind. (I take mine along for stem's, crank arms, bb's and anything else that must be measured twice before buying!)