Maxxis Crossmark Tubeless

Aggies

Maxxis Tires - all sizes (26"&29")  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Running standard (non ust) tires tubeless?

• Yes - no issues
    • Yes - some issues, but worth it
    • Yes - some issues, not worth it
    • No - will not even attempt it

Does a tyre have to be the UST version to run it tubeless, or is it just recommended? Still trying to get to grips with the tubeless thing...

No. You can run any tire tubeless, but the sidewalls of very light (racing) tires is very thin. A UST version just increase the durability of this sidewall. This is exactly the reason for this topic - to get feedback from our MTB community on running standard tires tubeless. If a lot of riders does it and don't have serious issues, I will definately convert mine.

Ps. This is only due to LUST versions not being available. I have been running LUST crossmarks on my previous 26" and will not easily change to another tire.

I’m not so lucky with the Crossmarks LUST. Think mine has done about 800km and got 6 minor punctures already :angry: , the tires are beginning to look like as Rasta of all the plugs, thinking of getting Conti Mountain king UST 2.4...they any good?

I had normal ust larsen TT's for a while and they got cut up on the sidewall pretty easily, seems like the lust crossmark and monorail i have now are a bit tougher. Might just be because i havent done Groot marico on them yet though :blush:

current tyres are 475g and 485g in the packaging - aspen 2.1 120tpi 26" works great stans converted

Hey dudes horses for courses. Max and BS ran UST crossmarks at the back at the three towers mankele this year.Last year they suffered with numerous punctures and stoppages. Results 2010 speak for themselves, not to mention the Cape Pioneer, 6 days with a total race time similar to the 9 day epic race time. All tyres can be converted to a tubeless system we run all our bikes on a homemade conversion i.e. tape and tubeless valves smothered in Stans. Depends on your tyre requirement. We ride mostly rocky forest and singletrack with increased risk for sidewall damage..thus reinforced sidewalls. If its transAlp schotter(gravel), foldables are probably a good bet. Appropriate behaviour dudes...Most of the currently available 29'er tyres look good enough to run tubeless, no doubt the future will yield lighter, LUST versions...Goodluck....

I’m not so lucky with the Crossmarks LUST. Think mine has done about 800km and got 6 minor punctures already :angry: , the tires are beginning to look like as Rasta of all the plugs, thinking of getting Conti Mountain king UST 2.4...they any good?

Great on the front but wear quickly on the back and roll slowly....rather use in combo with a 2.2 Race king on the back as this lasts longer and rolls better. You can expect 1500-2000km from this combo if you stay away from the tar.