Chain is stuffed

iRob

Have you measured the chain yet? Those tools every lbs uses are notorious for inaccuracy. Do a search here on thehub to see the guidelines for "acceptable" wear.

Yeah the first "muddy" ride I did was the 3rd ride on the bike I ever did so I'm not sure what to think anymore. Hell what is the point of buying an MTB if cannot handle 25km or even 100km of mud??

What would one then do in a race of 100km if it was wet? Stop half-way and replace the chain or wash your bike, dry it and then re-lube it?? (This is not meant as a dig at you Sharkie 2, but I do feel it is a question someone, anyone, needs to at least consider and think about and possibly answer.)

The point is what is the use of aspiring to completer a hardcore MTB event, only to have the unreliability prevent you from competing or even enjoying it.

Ja look its tight, I'm flippen bleak at doing the Sabie Experience, which is known for being wet, and having to chicken out due to chain wear half way trough a 75/85km stage.

Have you measured the chain yet? Those tools every lbs uses are notorious for inaccuracy. Do a search here on thehub to see the guidelines for "acceptable" wear.

Nope, chain and cassette are still at the LBS, and I'm at work, but have requested they keep it aside.

Clearly the wear you have been expereincing is abnormal, despite your riding style, weight, etc.

Assuming these parts were new there is something else at work.

Shimano will not be interested in your problem, imho.

Get your LBS to fight this fight for you, you bought NEW from him.

Nothing wrong with SLX components, most probably the sweet spot in the Shimano range ito price vs duarbility.

Most of us use chains 3000kms, casette every third chain.

So you should be able to finish a Sabie on one chain...

Do you perhaps know who I can speak to? I've had bikes for YEARS and even though this is the fittest I've ever been (ito cycling) I have never had this happen this badly before.

sorry that sounded arrogant, what I mean is that I'd be VERY surprised that my riding style, as opposed to a professional cyclist, would be aggressive enough to wear my chain that quickly.

Sorry I don't. That's why I buy from CRC and save the money up front, as the last time I has an issue with a "new" Shimano component, on my first ride out, the so called warranty meant jack sh$t. This is the test of a good lbs.

I get around 1300km per chain...

+1. Totally agree. Find my Sram cassettes to last about 3 sometimes 4 chains. You can ride a chain for longer but the new chain doesn't get along so well with the cassette then.