Carbo Loading while balancing fat intake?

Spat

i agree with douchebag,

the only people who should be trying to lose weight just before ANY sporting event are (badly prepared) wrestlers or boxers that have to make a certain category, or not compete at all.

I understood the initial question as general weight loss and not weight loss just before the event, like say a wrestler or boxer will want to achieve prior to a weigh in.

Instead i saw this question as a general question for continued weight loss over a period of time and not just before the event?? And therefore not to hamper the progress of already lost weight by carbo-loading on high fat/sugar foods. Some people still want to partake in cycle races and feel good during them by eating increased carb meals before the race, but at the same time dont want to gain anymore weight. I believe this can be achieved.

I use PVM Re-ignite to carbo load, which doesnt contain fat, take 2-3 servings a few days prior to the event.

Dont do it much though, as I mainly ride shorter distances.

Remember to taper before the event to max the stored glycogen and also be aware it can lead to a bit of water retention.

I understood the initial question as general weight loss and not weight loss just before the event, like say a wrestler or boxer will want to achieve prior to a weigh in.

Instead i saw this question as a general question for continued weight loss over a period of time and not just before the event?? And therefore not to hamper the progress of already lost weight by carbo-loading on high fat/sugar foods. Some people still want to partake in cycle races and feel good during them by eating increased carb meals before the race, but at the same time dont want to gain anymore weight. I believe this can be achieved.

+1 :thumbup:

If the race is similar in distance and intensity to your training rides, then dont change too much from your normal prep for a long training ride. I think too many people place greater emphasis on race days and forget that you body has become used to your preparation. That might mean some additional carbs, but also some beers after work and some low carb food for dinner.

While running Comrades it amazed me how many people had great long runs( traditionally done as your last long effort before Comrades)and then suffer on the big day. My reasons for this are that during the long run and lots of our training runs/rides, we have stops and wait for slwoer members. We might not have followed a rigid taper before the long run and not followed a rigid diet, but its what the body has been doing for 6months in training up to that point. Then comes the big day, and we change what we have been doing, we stop running, we eat different foods then on the day we start running and dont stop until we cant go on. All of this is different to the way we have trained.

For me if you want to continue to lose weight, then dont stop riding completely, keep ticking it over, eat your normal diet, just have pasta and not pizza and look for an Energade type carbo loading drink to take the few days before.

Not scientific and not from an A batch athlete, just my thoughts.

You honestly don't need to carboload for vets races! Just eat a proper breakfast and fuel yourself during the race. Dieting in a race is no good idea. You don't want to bonk. You could also skip the huge post-race "recovery" stuff, but even that is difficult if you want to train hard the next day.

Personally I struggle to loose kilo's during a racing season. I manage to maintain my weight, but loosing weight and racing hard are almost mutually exclusive for me. I've taken my off-season (which starts now) to basically focus on loosing weight and having fun. By the start of the next racing season I want to be on, or at least close to, target weight otherwise it will be too late for me. I love my food too much and racing makes me hungry!!! Lost 6kg's in the last two months and still going strong without cravings.

I don't carbo load. Would have thought that this has fallen away by now.

Live low gi, race low gi.

Ok, so maybe I would eat more carbs the day before. Bread, juice, whatever.