Thule Bike Racks

bikemonster

Hello My Imaginary Friends

I'm considering getting Thule racks so I can take bikes along for the ride when the family heads out on a road trip over December. Tow bar mounted racks are not an option.

That leaves the rack that mounts (oh my!) on the back of the family hatchback (Thule 9103) or some ProRider 591's to be added to the car's roof racks.

The roof mounted racks will increase fuel usage, and I run the risk of driving into stuff with the bikes forgotten on the roof.

The hatchback mounted carrier makes the hatch out of bounds, and makes theft more of a worry (it looks like a reasonably determined thief could just cut the straps and remove the carrier with bikes attached).

Anything else to think about?

Any non-Thule alternatives that don't require a towbar that are worth considering?

Let me have the wisdom of the Hub massive...over to you!

(Edited because WTF would 'two bar mounted racks' mean?)

Edited by bikemonster

I have a Thule 9103. Works pretty good for me, and it fits in the boot of my Polo :thumbup: If I do go for a long drive (2 hours plus) I just remove the seat post and wheels to minimize the impact on fuel consumption (29ers have some big ass wheels!).

You make a good point about theft though. I do lock the bikes to the rack itself to ward of most would be thiefs. But like you said, a determined thief could cut the top straps (they are metal right?). But for that matter they could also cut the cable lock? The bottom clips look like the will only come out if the boot is open... unless you bend the boot where it clips in :( Damn, I hope they don't try that with my car!

If I do have to leave the bikes on the car, I just try and park where I can see the car, or where there are lots of people that would notice if someone is cutting up my bike rack. Don't think there is a perfect solution if you don't want to use tow bar mounted racks (btw... took me a while to figure out what "two bar mounted racks" are :blink: ).

I often travel with my whole family and carry up to 5 bikes at a time on the roof. If you think that you want to carry more than 2 bikes, I've found that roof rack mounted racks work better. Both boot and towbar mounted racks battle to take 3 bikes without causing damage and securing them not to rub is fiddly and a pain. Not having easy access to your luggage is also iritating. The additional fuel cost is minimal if you look at what the total cost of the holiday or weekend away is. As for remembering not to go into parking garages, the first few times I cable-tied part of an old fishing rod with a little red flag on the end to be visible from the driver's seat to serve as a reminder. Soon it became second nature.

Hello My Imaginary Friends

I'm considering getting Thule racks so I can take bikes along for the ride when the family heads out on a road trip over December. Tow bar mounted racks are not an option.

That leaves the rack that mounts (oh my!) on the back of the family hatchback (Thule 9103) or some ProRider 591's to be added to the car's roof racks.

The roof mounted racks will increase fuel usage, and I run the risk of driving into stuff with the bikes forgotten on the roof.

The hatchback mounted carrier makes the hatch out of bounds, and makes theft more of a worry (it looks like a reasonably determined thief could just cut the straps and remove the carrier with bikes attached).

Anything else to think about?

Any non-Thule alternatives that don't require a towbar that are worth considering?

Let me have the wisdom of the Hub massive...over to you!

(Edited because WTF would 'two bar mounted racks' mean?)

Any reason for this?

Any reason for this?

Reason for this (i.e., tow bar mounted racks being not an option) is that I do not have a tow bar.

Tow bars can be added, but adding a tow bar is an expensive thing to do, looks ugly and the towbar mounted Thules seem to be the most expensive.

Re: theft from 9103 - having looked closer at a 9103, it is of stouter construction than I thought so theft is not as much of an issue as I first thought.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Keep 'em coming!

Reason for this (i.e., tow bar mounted racks being not an option) is that I do not have a tow bar.

Tow bars can be added, but adding a tow bar is an expensive thing to do, looks ugly and the towbar mounted Thules seem to be the most expensive.

Re: theft from 9103 - having looked closer at a 9103, it is of stouter construction than I thought so theft is not as much of an issue as I first thought.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Keep 'em coming!

I hear you on all counts ;) What car so you drive? Im having dilemmas as well for just carring two bikes.:( I still cant work out why you need to buy the three bike thules to carry two bike nicely :unsure: Also why no one is SA has come up with something to rival thule properly

This is for the big car in the fleet. It's a Pug 206 GTi.

Where did you get two bikes from Caerus?

My bike, Mrs bikemonster's bike, and son of bikemonster's bike.

I think that the reason that Thule do not have many rivals (check out whispbar.co.za) is that Thule clearly have a lot of thought behind their products.

This is for the big car in the fleet. It's a Pug 206 GTi.

Where did you get two bikes from Caerus?

My bike, Mrs bikemonster's bike, and son of bikemonster's bike.

I think that the reason that Thule do not have many rivals (check out whispbar.co.za) is that Thule clearly have a lot of thought behind their products.

:lol: lol. The Adams Family

Ive actually got three bikes to move about, Ive got a GT hardtail I like to thrash about on from time to time( I cant seem to give it up), my usual Giant Trance and now the missus has a bike. So when we go away I need to take all three( well I wanna be able to take all three) So hence my dilemma too.

I cant understand why someone in SA hasnt copied the Thule racks at least and made something cheaper locally that is as good. I know there are other local brands to but, but they dont come close to the Thules - Strange

Edited by Caerus

bikemonster, check the classifieds on monday. There might just be something you'd be interested in. Selling my clip on...

I had to make the same decision a few years ago regarding moving my bikes around.

I was reluctant to use any system that puts any stress on the frame. Systems that leave the bike hanging from the toptube may cause hairline cracks in the toptube time. The non-towbar systems inevitably leads to damage to your car as it moves around slightly during use.

I opted for the roof mounted pro-ride system as my training partner has the same system and my Jeep didn't have a tow bar. We are able to fit 4 bikes on top of the car, the bikes are locked and it is quick and easy to load and unload bikes. It has also become second nature to think whether there are bikes on the car whenever I enter parking garages or drive underneath trees. Fuel economy was slightly higher and the roof bars generate some wind noise.

I have a clip-on haven't had any issues thus far. The bike rack is very versatile and has been used on all the family cars (hatch).

I have only fitted 2 bikes on it thus far with no issues. I will have to carry 3 bikes for a trip to Mankele in Dec, but I think its going to be a bit of a mission. In my opinion, it you are going to carry more than 2 bikes, go for roof mounted. If not I can recommend the clip on

bikemonster, check the classifieds on monday. There might just be something you'd be interested in. Selling my clip strap on...

Do yourselves a favour and go check out ATERA range of bike racks.

German made. (An ld slogan comes to mind..... "German efficiency where you need it most on your car" .... in this case your bike rack to secure your pride & joy)

Brlliantly made, very similar to Thule, but slightly more affordable.

I sold two again this past week, customers very happy.

www.atera.co.za

Hey Mr Bike Monster,

If you live close to Sandton come through to the Woodmead Thule concept store. http://www.thule.co.za/ShowRoom.aspx. We can show (with bikes) all the none tow bar alternatives as well as give you comparisons and costs. We have the entire range at the store.

We have non tow bar solutions from R1199 all the way through to R3500

Edited by williamtyson

Do yourselves a favour and go check out ATERA range of bike racks.

German made. (An ld slogan comes to mind..... "German efficiency where you need it most on your car" .... in this case your bike rack to secure your pride & joy)

Brlliantly made, very similar to Thule, but slightly more affordable.

I sold two again this past week, customers very happy.

www.atera.co.za

Can I get some prices please? Also what the difference between the sport range (Strada Sport 2)and the normal one (Strada DL 2) Are these gonna be the same as the thule that you need to buy the 3 bike to comfortably carry 2 bikes? They do look nice :)