Rusty Tools

Slowbee

Buy some oxalic acid powder from Brights, mix in some water and soak the tools in that. You'll see the rust bubble right off the metal. Its quite mild as well, not going to burn a hole through your hand if you spill it on yourself.

Buff them with a brush on the bench grinder. Do it carefully not to hurt yourself. Wipe them down with light machine oil like 3 in 1 on a rag. Use them often and they wont rust and if they do clean them again. Use some boiled linseed oil on tthe wooden handles. Replace split or cracked handles.

Buff them with a brush on the bench grinder. Do it carefully not to hurt yourself. Wipe them down with light machine oil like 3 in 1 on a rag. Use them often and they wont rust and if they do clean them again. Use some boiled linseed oil on tthe wooden handles. Replace split or cracked handles.

The only thing to add (although "Do it carefully not to hurt yourself." covers it) is to wear eye protection.

The only thing to add (although "Do it carefully not to hurt yourself." covers it) is to wear eye protection.

At least those haven't rusted

What too make though, just dont have the time anymore :( I love making things

What too make though, just dont have the time anymore :( I love making things

Do some of that bike servicing that you've been whingeing is too spendy. ;)

Yeah, its happened to me as well but I think a lot depends on the extent of the rust, if its just a fine layer like mine was its easy, I just bought a tin of Q40 sprayed the tools with a thick coat of the oil and left them for a day or two.

Rubbed them down briskly with a cloth and the rust was gone, dont know if this will work with heavy rust deposits though, my guess is you will need to be a bit more aggressive with a buffing wheel as BigH suggests.