Rusty Chain & cassette

Caerus

Should a cassette & chain rust on a new bike when its been washed & lubed straight after riding, the bike has been ridden twice, the bike is also kept in doors all the time besides when riding?

Depends where you are, the weather during the period it occured and material of cassete and chain.

After riding, normal wear & tear on the chain/cassette results in very fine metal pieces. If the climate is condusive these will show rust virtually immediately. It is only superficial, as long as you wipe and lube it should not be a problem. In your case you probably stored the bike to dry before putting lube on the chain, sufficient time for such particles to develop rust.

Where I live, Brazil - Salvador, rust is part of everyday life. I have a plastic mtb, the only steel is the chain. To prevent small amount of rust I have started removing the chain before washing. The chain is cleaned using a piece of rag only, if using water I would dry it in the oven or direct sunlight around noon.

Depends where you are, the weather during the period it occured and material of cassete and chain.

After riding, normal wear & tear on the chain/cassette results in very fine metal pieces. If the climate is condusive these will show rust virtually immediately. It is only superficial, as long as you wipe and lube it should not be a problem. In your case you probably stored the bike to dry before putting lube on the chain, sufficient time for such particles to develop rust.

Where I live, Brazil - Salvador, rust is part of everyday life. I have a plastic mtb, the only steel is the chain. To prevent small amount of rust I have started removing the chain before washing. The chain is cleaned using a piece of rag only, if using water I would dry it in the oven or direct sunlight around noon.

Im on the coast in Durbs by the Sea(rust heaven), I was just wondering if it was down to inferior cassette & chain too, as my bike didnt do it or hasnt has the problem, and its been through the exact same riding conditions .

Where I live, Brazil - Salvador, rust is part of everyday life. I have a plastic mtb, the only steel is the chain.

I am intrigued... What do you mean by plastic? (Sorry for the hi-jack...)

I am intrigued... What do you mean by plastic? (Sorry for the hi-jack...)

What he said!!!

Do you mean carbon?

I had the same problem and it ended up recking my chain. I did a very wet ride; washed the bike off, left it in my garae for a day and the chain was looking BAD. I live 50m from the sea in Blouberg so I jst keep my bike indoors; ALWAYS make SURE it is dry and never leave the chain on the bike if its is wet, I take it ff, clean it and then lube it with a thicker lube. Helps a treat for rust.