Soft tail 26" or Hard tail 29"

SpeekSpanner

Hi all....

I need to get some opinions out there on these 2 options.... ;)

What would be the best bike to get .... a dual suspension 26" :thumbup: or must I go for hard tail 29er :w00t: ??

Im a very casual rider and there is no serious competition riding involved.. just going out there to have some fun and make some friends

What will it be?

Cheers!!

Hi all....

What would be the best bike to get .... a dual suspension 26" :thumbup: or must I go for hard tail 29er :w00t: ??

Im a very casual rider and there is no serious competition riding involved.. just going out there to have some fun and make some friends

What will it be?

Cheers!!

Why a Dual suspension 26"?

I do perfectly well with a 26" hard tail and done some events with decent times!

Hi all....

What will it be?

Cheers!!

In you case...go for the 26 Duallie!! It will all be about a more comfortable ride...

I think the best advice would be to go and testride the different bikes. Wheight wise it should be more or less the same.

I'm going to test ride a 29er hardtail monday, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Depends on your local trails and races:

Rocky rooty, or techinical - Dual

Easy open jeep tracks mostly - 29er ht

Edited by Tarmac-SL3

Its all down to personal preferance, test ride some bikes is the probably the best bit of advice :)

Hi all....

What will it be?

Cheers!!

Get a hardtail! Keep it simple! simplicity is the key to easy and cheap(ish) maintenance.

I was also recently confronted with the choice between a soft 26" or a hard 29", and after test riding both, and considering my applications, I went with a soft tail 26". Without running other peoples choices down in this regard, I am not sold on the 29" concept yet. Think it is far over rated, and not my style. My advice, ride both, and then decide, as everybody will have his or her own opinion, while you are stuck with the bike and the invoice!

I was also recently confronted with the choice between a soft 26" or a hard 29", and after test riding both, and considering my applications, I went with a soft tail 26". Without running other peoples choices down in this regard, I am not sold on the 29" concept yet. Think it is far over rated, and not my style. My advice, ride both, and then decide, as everybody will have his or her own opinion, while you are stuck with the bike and the invoice!

Just to add to the above, don't just take a 29er HT for a spin around the block once. You need to ride it at least a couple of times to have a true comparison. It does take some getting use to.

Why a Dual suspension 26"?

I do perfectly well with a 26" hard tail and done some events with decent times!

Because a dual sus is just so much more of PLUSH!, I also find since i upgraded to dual sus, my handling is better the ride quality is less harsh and where use to pray rocky single track must end, i now cry when it does cuase i just did'nt get enough.

Depends what you are in to though, a light Hardtail that yes is probably faster than a softail, or do you like hitting the rough stuff and enjoying every second, though be it you might be a bit slower in a race on a dual sys.

My logic dictates i spend 99% of my time not in a race so i buy a bike i will enjoy 99% of the time. But then again my logic has been known to be flawed.

Edited by covie

Because a dual sus is just so much more of PLUSH!, I also find since i upgraded to dual sus, my handling is better the ride quality is less harsh and where use to pray rocky single track must end, i now cry when it does cuase i just did'nt get enough.

Depends what you are in to though, a light Hardtail that yes is probably faster than a softail, or do you like hitting the rough stuff and enjoying every second, though be it you might be a bit slower in a race on a dual sys.

My logic dictates i spend 99% of my time not in a race so i buy a bike i will enjoy 99% of the time. But then again my logic has been known to be flawed.

With the right tire pressure, etc...you can fly with a hardtail through a rocky section, but thats me, I am insane :P

I did however test my girlfriends mom Giant Anthem X3...awesome smooth ride.....felt like less power in the climbs but good value for money and I am sure as you get older the dualie is more for you, as you start getting back pain,etc...softer on the knees also :)

Just wondered why a dualie tho :)

MTB Roadie yes I rode the same trails on my HT than I do on my DS. You can certainly tackle anything on a hardtail than you can with a DS. Last month i hot twrch trail in cwmcarn wales on a HT while everyone around me trail and downhill bikes and yes i still had a absolutly fabulous time :clap:

I have an Athem as well and if its well setup it climbs like a monster, acutally much better than my HT use to climb. The ride is smooth and direct it goes exactly where i point it. The drawback is i feel invinsible at times and then i tend to overdo corners and jumps at times.

But its all personal prefrence i guess, or budgetary prefrence :) I might buy another HT purley for easy not too technical races. But if you spend a lot of time in the saddle, a DS is just so much kinder to you body.

i didnt want to believe everyone about the 29'er as i loved my little volcan, however :clap: one test ride on the 29er and i was sold. My new 29er dual suspension only weighs 200grams more than my volcan (that was without the new tyres) so probably will come in the same weight. The ride is so much more comfortable and makes the technical sections so much smoother although i do think that it might take away some of the challenge as it really does just roll over the technical sections.

I rode a HT for 3 years. It made me a far more skilled rider that what I would have been otherwise. I did super technical enduro races like Attakwas on it and while the DS riders would shoot past me on the technical downhill sections, I never lost real time to them as I always seemed to get the time back on the climbs. When I moved to a DS bike, it was like my skillset simply expanded exponentially. Where before I had to really graft to stay on friends' wheels on technical stuff, I now ride 1st or 2nd wheel and I see them having to pull out the stops to stay on.

I was amazed at how easy the DS was on my body. Before my hands, feet and shoulders (not to mention my butt) would take real strain. I thought that it was part of the sport and that you simply have to suck it up. Afterall this sport's not for sissies. Then I did the Trans Baviaans on my DS bike. Climbing never ender would probably have been easier on my HT, but the other 220kms of the ride I was so thankful for that little fox RP23 between my legs. When I finished my hands were great, usually the soles of my feet would itch from the vibrations, no discomfort there and my body felt fine.

I firmly believe that faster times are achieved on a more comfortable ride, especially on the longer rides, but if you want to become a good allround rider, learn to ride on a HT before upgrading to a DS bike.

My hardtail now belongs to my wife who enjoys riding a lightweight hardtail with top end components.