More drawing pins at the Cradle this morning

GuyP

+1 on The Saints pic - it is a vicious circle.

I may understand why cyclists want to ride in bunches but it doesn't make it right. All it takes is one bunch of self-righteous cyclists to piss off one motorist and the next thing you know it's a cyclist who is doing it right to take the brunt of that motorists frustration.

I love cycling and may not be a racing snake but more of a weekend warrior type but already I am scratching events off my list for next year purely because of how motorists in certain areas behave towards cyclists. I am the one who always sticks to the left but have had the odd motorist give me a close shave to make me wonder if it is worth it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, very far from quiet. Ah well, then the cyclists are in the wrong. We ride on roads that are quiet, but when a car appraoches we keep left(single file) mostly they're tolerant and overtake in the other lane if possible. We haven't had an incident with agnry motorists.

I took the pics coz it was happening all over that road. Didin't see any groups that size in single file, not even two abreast, but at least three.

I don't care too much either way, like I said I'm not out that way often, I was just lank upset that morning. Going uphill behind a group of cyclists doesn't mean you only wait a few seconds to pass, it's more like ten minutes so that the other cars held up in front of you with a truck or wto can go past.

My two cents worth.

I ride on the road with my wife on a tandem, including quite a few rides in the cradle..... my other pedaling experiences are limited to the dirt but what i can say from my experience on the road, is that there are a lot of roadies who are EXTREMELY arrogant and inconsiderate on their rides.

Things like riding 3 or 4 abreast when the cycling lane is not wide enough is common place, or even worse, riding two abreast with a gap wide enough for a car to pass in between them, all the while not even glancing once behind them to check if there are cars approaching.

And what's worse is that if a car expresses their irritation or hits the hooter to warn them that they are there the cyclists will shout obscenities etc etc.

Funny thing is, its usually not the top riders that do this, these guys (and gals) are generally smart and considerate enough to stay as far left as possible at all times. As for me and my wife we do simple things like staying left, bike lane or not, and checking behind us before we swerve out to overtake.... sounds so simple.

Then again, if one had to point this out to some of the roadies out there, u might get sworn at, threatened etc. Bottom line is riders like this are ruining it for everyone, and should catch a flipping wake up! Cyclists with bad attitudes / or who aren't alert get DEAD. Problem is, until they get dead, they make the roads far more dangerous for the considerate cyclists out there.

@Krutch

What made you take those pictures ?

You were driving around in your MX5 show some cyclists and decided to take pic's ???

I was out on a shoot so had the camera handy.

Also, I'm straight, so no MX5, that was an S2000. :thumbup:

Was also trying to get pics of toit bums and very yummy legs on a few of the lady cyclists... Alas the ladies were riding properly and so we passed them too fast for pics :(

My two cents worth.

I ride on the road with my wife on a tandem, including quite a few rides in the cradle..... my other pedaling experiences are limited to the dirt but what i can say from my experience on the road, is that there are a lot of roadies who are EXTREMELY arrogant and inconsiderate on their rides.

Things like riding 3 or 4 abreast when the cycling lane is not wide enough is common place, or even worse, riding two abreast with a gap wide enough for a car to pass in between them, all the while not even glancing once behind them to check if there are cars approaching.

And what's worse is that if a car expresses their irritation or hits the hooter to warn them that they are there the cyclists will shout obscenities etc etc.

Funny thing is, its usually not the top riders that do this, these guys (and gals) are generally smart and considerate enough to stay as far left as possible at all times. As for me and my wife we do simple things like staying left, bike lane or not, and checking behind us before we swerve out to overtake.... sounds so simple.

Then again, if one had to point this out to some of the roadies out there, u might get sworn at, threatened etc. Bottom line is riders like this are ruining it for everyone, and should catch a flipping wake up! Cyclists with bad attitudes / or who aren't alert get DEAD. Problem is, until they get dead, they make the roads far more dangerous for the considerate cyclists out there.

ex-zacterly... had a LOT of idjuts on the cradle on saturday who were standing waiting for their slower buddies but took up the whole cycling lane so us on the R2R had to move INTO the "car section" of the road to get past :angry:

then there were others - riding on the right hand side / middle of the cycle lane again forcing faster riders into the "car section"

and the worst is i found the extreme left of the cycle lane to be the nicest bit to ride on - farrrr less bumpy than closer to the "car section" of the road

personally, had i been on my SV i'd have left a lot of people with VERY sore ears out of irritation (i love having a loud pipe)

I was out on a shoot so had the camera handy.

Also, I'm straight, so no MX5, that was an S2000. :thumbup:

Was also trying to get pics of toit bums and very yummy legs on a few of the lady cyclists... Alas the ladies were riding properly and so we passed them too fast for pics :(

So you were actually following the lady cyclists to take pictures of their bums ???

But you ended up taking pics of guys instead.

Haha, that was the point, not all are in the wrong.

Also, if that'sa dedicated bike lane, who polices it? On that whole stretch we drove on (and it was some stretch, you cyclist people are insane - I'd die after 2km!) we never saw one Metro. I thought there would be considering the amount of cyclists as well as the moroebikes that are known for speeding and having no plates on, also the cars that speed there.

Sad that the authorities aren't there to protect anyone, rather make money in the populated areas where accidents hardly happen.

It is fine having the bike lanes but they have to be rideable. Most are but the last time I was in the cradle there were a few parts which was not totally rideable (either due to a being a bit rough or plants or debris etc.) Most of my riding is in the build up areas and people so far have waited until it is safe. The traffic volume is much higher and they are prepared to wait a few seconds until it is safe to pass me, and the few friends I ride with at times. I give them a wave in thanks. So if motorists can do that on higher traffic roads then why can't a few inhabitants in the cradle?

Again a lot of posts not saying much...... Mother Theresa and others all being sweetie pies........ hot air and fluffing your own feathers will NOT help. What are you doing..... actively doing ..... to ensure that things will improve. A while ago there was a lot of hot air spewed forth by holier than thou so called big names in cycling. There were promises ...... or should I say suggestions that something actively will be done to educate cyclists...... we are now again just before 94,7 and soon ARGUS..... must a old man with a bakkie plough into a group of cyclists hogging the road to get a lot of hot air vomited by cyclist who are ever so inocent??????

I phoned somebody who lives in the Cradle and offered a R1000-00 reward to anybody who provides a positive lead to the creep who PAINTED drawing pins black. He is very positive that a lead will be found.

riding on a road with no hard shoulder and being on the outside of the bunch would make

very nervous of being sideswiped by a car. logic tells me to get to the back and as far left as possible

to be safe.

Again a lot of posts not saying much...... Mother Theresa and others all being sweetie pies........ hot air and fluffing your own feathers will NOT help. What are you doing..... actively doing ..... to ensure that things will improve. A while ago there was a lot of hot air spewed forth by holier than thou so called big names in cycling. There were promises ...... or should I say suggestions that something actively will be done to educate cyclists...... we are now again just before 94,7 and soon ARGUS..... must a old man with a bakkie plough into a group of cyclists hogging the road to get a lot of hot air vomited by cyclist who are ever so inocent??????

I phoned somebody who lives in the Cradle and offered a R1000-00 reward to anybody who provides a positive lead to the creep who PAINTED drawing pins black. He is very positive that a lead will be found.

Nice work Big H..... that was a great idea.

What do i actively do.... I make sure i ride safely and i ask others who aren't riding so safely to ride safely (including my buddies)... doesn't always go down so well though .... then again, maybe if my name started with "Big" more people would listen to me.;)

So you were actually following the lady cyclists to take pictures of their bums ???

But you ended up taking pics of guys instead.

Na, ended up taking pics of idiots who "own" the road. :D

It is fine having the bike lanes but they have to be rideable. Most are but the last time I was in the cradle there were a few parts which was not totally rideable (either due to a being a bit rough or plants or debris etc.) Most of my riding is in the build up areas and people so far have waited until it is safe. The traffic volume is much higher and they are prepared to wait a few seconds until it is safe to pass me, and the few friends I ride with at times. I give them a wave in thanks. So if motorists can do that on higher traffic roads then why can't a few inhabitants in the cradle?

By this it sounds like "your riding" is mostly on your own. So yeah, a second or two wait until it's safe to pass you is perfectly acceptable, like I said though, on this road it was more than a few minutes at a time. The only waving I saw was a middle finger from one of the guys in the group to the irate (and rightly so) truck driver behind him.

Agreed that it is a vicious circle though.

What really sucks is that you can't even say that one ones being the idiots will get what's coming to them, because it that means a car hits them and kils them, then a few lives are ruined.

By this it sounds like "your riding" is mostly on your own. So yeah, a second or two wait until it's safe to pass you is perfectly acceptable, like I said though, on this road it was more than a few minutes at a time. The only waving I saw was a middle finger from one of the guys in the group to the irate (and rightly so) truck driver behind him.

Agreed that it is a vicious circle though.

What really sucks is that you can't even say that one ones being the idiots will get what's coming to them, because it that means a car hits them and kils them, then a few lives are ruined.

I would say that it is split about 60% with others and 40% on my own. Same applies to both. I have ridden with some friend on Ontdekkers and the motorists have been fine.

Cyclists, have to see it from motorists' point of view and try not to block the traffic as much as they reasonable can. But then motorists also have to see it from cyclists' perspectives. Keep too far left and there is debris that can cause punctures etc.

When I am driving and a truck or slower car is ahead I wait until it is safe to do so, no matter how many minutes it takes. I then don't go wanting to harm every truck driver I see. If a motorist cuts me off I don't go wanting to harm whichever other motorist is closest to me. Those roads is not a high volume road compared to many other roads just near them. It doesn't have robots or stop streets so it is a nice cycling road. Around the 94.7 and Argus you will get more of the non-serious cyclists riding who often are not the most clued up ones concerning riding courtesy. Why then punish the more regular cyclists (like the ones on the Hub)? Some cyclists probably ride badly everywhere but it seems like the main area where people get upset is in the cradle. This could indicate that an attitude adjustment in needed in the cradle. Besides, there are businesses there. I for one would rather spend my money for a post ride breakfast or coffee etc at a place like Valverde which is "cyclist friendy" than at a place which is not. Especially with so many cyclists around it is a good business opportunity so the residents should embrace it! So why anatagonise the cyclists and try chase them away?

It is all the helmets fault me thinks. Cyclists are normal sane people..... most of them that I have met....... but when they put their helmets on the Hyde part of their creepy character takes over. The become lawbreaking cussing handsignswinging bad examples of mankind thinking they own the road peoples!!!!!

Come to think of it you can say the same of bikers..... and the common denominator??????

Law should be made where a license MUST be dispalyed on every bicycle with name address and licence number. Maybe it is the warped "freedom" and lack of identification they have that makes them react the way they do...... I know ..... I have my own "dark" side once on a bicycle!!!!!!!!

I would say that it is split about 60% with others and 40% on my own. Same applies to both. I have ridden with some friend on Ontdekkers and the motorists have been fine.

Cyclists, have to see it from motorists' point of view and try not to block the traffic as much as they reasonable can. But then motorists also have to see it from cyclists' perspectives. Keep too far left and there is debris that can cause punctures etc.

When I am driving and a truck or slower car is ahead I wait until it is safe to do so, no matter how many minutes it takes. I then don't go wanting to harm every truck driver I see. If a motorist cuts me off I don't go wanting to harm whichever other motorist is closest to me. Those roads is not a high volume road compared to many other roads just near them. It doesn't have robots or stop streets so it is a nice cycling road. Around the 94.7 and Argus you will get more of the non-serious cyclists riding who often are not the most clued up ones concerning riding courtesy. Why then punish the more regular cyclists (like the ones on the Hub)? Some cyclists probably ride badly everywhere but it seems like the main area where people get upset is in the cradle. This could indicate that an attitude adjustment in needed in the cradle. Besides, there are businesses there. I for one would rather spend my money for a post ride breakfast or coffee etc at a place like Valverde which is "cyclist friendy" than at a place which is not. Especially with so many cyclists around it is a good business opportunity so the residents should embrace it! So why anatagonise the cyclists and try chase them away?

+1

Edited by chris_w_65

a bit of compromise from a few people in the cradle, and these thread(s) won't be reaching the amount of pages they did. Is it so difficult to wait a couple of seconds, then go past.

I'd like to know, that is a quiet area in terms of traffic, how many times does it happen that cyclists actually hold up traffic, not for less than 5 seconds. Anyone?

So where do you draw the line? It is illegal to ride two abreast. Period.

Just because lunatics speed in their cars or on their motor cycles doesn't make it right for cyclists to ride two three and sometimes even four abreast.

You say that motorists must be patient, but why should they be if cyclists are breaking the law? :unsure:

You talk of compromise. The only compromise is for everyone to obey the rules. Unfortunately, nothing will be done until our rather useless police force actually do something about corruption and put an end to bribery, and they start doing their jobs properly.

Oh and Krutch, lycraloon says "welcome to his world, now go back to your car forum." :P