What is a lifetime guarantee

Vetseun

lifetime in the PC businesses normally refers to the lifecyle of that particular product. I would imagine it's the same for other bits of hardware. Once the manufacturer tools up for frames requiring different jigs, previous versions' lives come to an effective end from the manufacturer's perspective. The less misleading title should have been limited lifetime.

The reality is with cracked frames, is that unless there are droves of others leading to a recall, or least an open admission of a weld/fatigue fault, it's a damn hard time proving you didnt 'abuse' the frame leading to the cracking.

I get cross when the manufactuers use "life" time quarantee, but they print small writing like 3mnths for paint work and 5years for frame... I noticed when they replaced my frame because the paint peeled off after 2 mnths.. Luckily under 3 mths.... They must stop saying "life time" I never believe it, that is why I have bike insurance, in case they don't cover it....

Don't get cross. Even if that seemingly rash warrantee statement doesn't have a couple of riders and small-print exceptions, lifetime is still questionable. Is the product gauranteed into eternity or is it gauranteed for as long as the original owner can get up and walk into the shop with a proof of purchase?

It ususally isn't all that clear aferwards but a few questions beforehand should solve that problem. Like Grumpy said, the CPA will sort out the semantics chop-chop.

For instance, I happen to build wheels and my unique selling point is the gaurantee. I offer a lifetime gaurantee/warrantee ( I read the definition above and am still absorbing it) on the wheels that I build. But with a few exceptions. 1) The hub is gauranteed by the hub manufacturer. 2) The rim is gauranteed (or not) by its original manufacturer. 3) It must be my wheel and I don't need a receipt and I don't care who now owns it, but it must correspond to my serial number system. 4) The cost of getting the damaged wheel back to me is mine. 5) A bus accident is not my fault. I'll repair that for a fee.

What I do gaurantee is that the spokes will not break from normal use for as long as I or the wheel lives. In other words, my estate doesn't gaurantee the wheel. I do. How long will the wheel live? Probably not forever. Its useful life is dictated by fashion, changes in technology that makes it obsolete or useless to the owner (7-speed wheels are useless, but still live) etc etc.

Secondly, if the hub fails, go knock on Shimano's door. If I sold you the hub, I'll do that on your behalf.

That was long-winded. I think what I wanted to say was that the description should be clear.

When the courts send someone down for life, it generally means 20-25 years in lock up, no necessarily the rest of that persons life. So much grey area with this it seems :(

Also consider using the Small Claims Court. Can work really well and its cheap, plus the law (for a change) is in your favour.

The problem is that the frame could well exceed the small claim threshold (around R7000, I think).

I think what I wanted to say was that the description should be clear.

Yeah, agreed Johan, make sure you understand the terms and conditions clearly before you lay down your money.

Unfortunately most folk take what the salesman says as gospel, and dont bother to read the warranty or the contract themselves.

Usually the SALES conversation will go something like this -

Customer - Hmmm, Nice, but what if my frame / bed / washing machine / tumble dryer / microwave etc breaks.?

Salesman - No problem, just return it, you have a LIFETIME warranty.!

Customer - Cool, I'll take it, ring up the bill.!

...and sadly, in many cases thats all the customer hears, or, wants to hear at the time!.

Anyway, I have said it before, but the CPA will change the way business is done in this county in ALL industries and these issues will soon be a thing of the past.

Still, and more concerning is, I dont think too many small business operators actually understand the implications of the new CPA act and how it WILL effect them in their business. Contravening the act has huge and onerous consequenses, fines of 10% of TURNOVER up to R10 million rand is not to be sneezed at, and brand damage by having your product dragged through this process could potentially kill a product or supplier, so yeah, its a long time coming, but I think its a good thing.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

I agree with GrumpyOldGuy and I felt the same way... Next time, bring tape recorder to prove them, but the salesman will be gone by then....

When the courts send someone down for life, it generally means 20-25 years in lock up, no necessarily the rest of that persons life. So much grey area with this it seems :(

Gmff!! NOT if your surname is Shaik....