Johannesburg to Thabazimbi, Saturday 20 November - we did it

NielC

Hey all

We completed the trip successfully on Saturday in a total distance of 220km which consisted of about 120km farm roads. The average temperature was 33.5 degrees and at its hottest 39 degrees.

We rode on the most beautiful farm roads which really never ended. Some stretches on the dirt roads were absolutely amazing and you could cruise along at 30km/h, other stretches were so bad with the corrugation that it felt like your kidneys were going to jump out.

The funniest thing were the huge amount of bugs that flew into us all the time, one of my mates swallowed one when it flew into his mouth, he said that he could feel how much more energy he had after it digested hehe.

I encountered technical difficulties in Brits - had a blow out on my front tyre (slicks) and then luckily my one mate's wife brought her MTB's wheels through to us. However, that didn't end there and the gears were jumping a sh1tload, so after traversing Brits it was semi-sorted (at a paltry amount of R45) which left me with one gear at the back and the middle and large front chainrings. Pushing onward our mates waited in Assen (about 90km from Brits) and we managed to tune the gears a bit better. The delay due to this was 2.5hours.

In the end, we all made it, averaging about 22.5 (myself and Christo) and the other two about 24.5km/h. We rode into Thabazimbi together and it was an amazing feeling.

My legs are very very sore today.

If you'd like to see pics, please invite me on FB (niel coertse or search under ncoertse@mdaconsulting.co.za)

ciao for now

Niel

Sounds like you had a blast! Well done!

Are you perhaps going to post the route? Maybe more hubbers will go and try it out!

Sounds like you had a blast! Well done!

Are you perhaps going to post the route? Maybe more hubbers will go and try it out!

Howzit

Yes, had a blast! We stayed over at a place called Merensky Lodge which is near the Amandelbult Mine.

I will get the route from the other guys who had the Garmins and will post it.

niel

Well done! What time did you leave and what did you eat to keep going?

hi, Started cycling at 04h15 about in the morning, before sparrows even start farting!

We ate apples, muffins, bananas, woollies chicken nuggets, raisins, drank lots of coke (that is amazing stuff!!), some okes had samoosas even!

Howzit

Yes, had a blast! We stayed over at a place called Merensky Lodge which is near the Amandelbult Mine.

I will get the route from the other guys who had the Garmins and will post it.

niel

Fantastic! You guys planning on riding it again?

hi, Started cycling at 04h15 about in the morning, before sparrows even start farting!

We ate apples, muffins, bananas, woollies chicken nuggets, raisins, drank lots of coke (that is amazing stuff!!), some okes had samoosas even!

Food fit for a king!

Great to hear more guys are doing "onamptelike" non official rides. Much more fun and less hype. less traffic as well. the only price that knowing that I made it and pride. rode the 94.7 yesterday and the commerciality and bunches is a bit to much some times.

keep on going off the beaten track

Great to hear more guys are doing "onamptelike" non official rides. Much more fun and less hype. less traffic as well. the only price that knowing that I made it and pride. rode the 94.7 yesterday and the commerciality and bunches is a bit to much some times.

keep on going off the beaten track

Hey, thanks. It was such an awesome ride. We encountered about 2 cars on a total of 120km dirt road, no other traffic. I will never forget this and we are certainly doing something like this again.

hey tintin

sounds like you guys had a great ride.i would have joined you guys if it werent for the 94.7.

if you guys do this again i am super keen to join!

Hi, I've got the route map from one of the guys that rode with us, how do I post it on here? It's mapped on Google Earth.

Hi, I've got the route map from one of the guys that rode with us, how do I post it on here? It's mapped on Google Earth.

Not sure but I'd really like to see it! Any help anyone?