MTB Wheelset weights - Tubeless & Tubes

Caerus

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the disbelieve is necessarily in the science, just the magnitude of the difference. A bike with lighter wheels is easier to accelerate may be a fact, and losing 100g at the rim is like losing 200g in the water bottle may also be a fact (I made up the number but you get the principle). However, if it only makes a difference of 0.002% to acceleration (instead of 0.001%), it is a lot of calculating that has absolutely no value. That said, good looking wheels accelerate faster because they look lighter, which makes them feel lighter in your head, which makes them lighter in your perceived reality, and that is a fact.

And Mampara - in what world are Mavic's XC-specific, extra-thin rims (XC717's) anchors?

All I wanted to see was, what a combination of components for each persons wheelsets would weigh. To give people a possible idea

I don't think the disbelieve is necessarily in the science, just the magnitude of the difference.

Thanks, that's what I meant to say. There's this obsession with light wheels making a massive difference, and people saying that they can 'feel' the bike accelerating faster with weenie hoops. Not far off the powerbalance effect.

Very simply (Force in a straight line)

F = ma

F = Force (power available in your legs :))

m = mass (of the whole bike in this case. i.e. the wheels contribute to this this total mass)

a = acceleration

re-written with respect to a

a = F/m

Now assuming constant F, a will increase as m decrease

Getting more technical (Centripetal force - Force that makes the wheel go round)

F = ma + (mv^2)/r

F = Force (power applied to the wheel)

m = mass (mass of the wheel)

a = acceleration

v = velocity (straight line velocity of the wheel at a point in time at r)

r = radius (from the center if the wheel to the "center of gravity")

Again, re-writing with respect to a

a = F/m - v^2/r

So by the same logic. a will increase as m decrease.

Now for the kicker...

The total weight of the wheel is not as important as where the weight is. Similar to the logic behind a weight increase resulting in a acceleration decrease, the same applies for a increase in r. Basically the further away the weight is from the center the more of an effect it has on acceleration.

Summary. Light wheels DO accelerate faster and reducing the weight of the Tyre/Tube/Slime and Rim is worth much more that reducing the weight of the Hub and Skewer.

Hope this helps.

:P Ok so jeepers that just blew me out the water!!

Caerus, I have actually wanted to start the exact type of thread the results are interesting, as to your wheel and design remark that got flamed, I think its kenda that makes a TNT (tubes no tubes) model, not as light as a tubed tyre, not as heavy as tubeless, i.e. the middle ground.

I however would much rather sacrafice 300g in weight compared to replacing my teeth due to a sidewall failure at top speed :)

Caerus, I have actually wanted to start the exact type of thread the results are interesting, as to your wheel and design remark that got flamed, I think its kenda that makes a TNT (tubes no tubes) model, not as light as a tubed tyre, not as heavy as tubeless, i.e. the middle ground.

I however would much rather sacrafice 300g in weight compared to replacing my teeth due to a sidewall failure at top speed :)

For sure, I just wonder why other brands have not followed suit, still dont know why it was "flamed"? Seemed like a reasonable comment to make considering what I said in my original post - People not engaging the brain before speaking it seems. I started it for interest sake for people to get an idea of what they could build up in terms of a wheelset and then to compare to something in realilty.

I don't think the disbelieve is necessarily in the science, just the magnitude of the difference. A bike with lighter wheels is easier to accelerate may be a fact, and losing 100g at the rim is like losing 200g in the water bottle may also be a fact (I made up the number but you get the principle). However, if it only makes a difference of 0.002% to acceleration (instead of 0.001%), it is a lot of calculating that has absolutely no value. That said, good looking wheels accelerate faster because they look lighter, which makes them feel lighter in your head, which makes them lighter in your perceived reality, and that is a fact.

And Mampara - in what world are Mavic's XC-specific, extra-thin rims (XC717's) anchors?

I understand & agree. I feel I can accelerate quicker and roll quicker with heavier tyres - Go figure. But wouldn't it be great to save on the overall weight at the same time with compromising the strength & integrity of the tyre or you haveing to replace the tyres to often fom cuts to sidewalls etc etc being a full UST(be it differant rubber compound, whatever really)

I think every weight weenie is on his / her knees every night for a low weight high volume, good performing UST wheel mate, And I think you got flamed since this is obviously every tyre manufacturers philosophy to get to that state of nirvana.

I think every weight weenie is on his / her knees every night for a low weight high volume, good performing UST wheel mate, And I think you got flamed since this is obviously every tyre manufacturers philosophy to get to that state of nirvana.

Water off a ducks back, some people feel the need to just massage their egos :o

Water off a ducks back, some people feel the need to just massage their egos :o

yes totally, I felt much better. Although now I am kicking myself for saying that.

Because what I really should have brought in is the Bontrager paradox:

light/strong/cheap, pick any two.

anyway, i'm always interested by the effort gone into light wheels. i just tested my bike outside with two different wheelsets..results on another thread

I'm running Easton XC One's with a Maxxis Ignitor on the front and a Maxxis Crossmark on the back. Total weight including Stans sealant, valves, cassette and 160mm XT rotors is just over 4kg's.

I would be interested to know the weights for a

XT wheelset with XT rotors and XT cassette tubless with Conti race at the back and a conti mountain in front, anyone have this combo's weight avail?

I would be interested to know the weights for a

XT wheelset with XT rotors and XT cassette tubless with Conti race at the back and a conti mountain in front, anyone have this combo's weight avail?

Those weights should be easy to come by :unsure: I think.

Thats what i figured though nobody has mentioned anything. I would almost consider that a stock setup.