Tyre problem

TiBones

Some advice please! I run a Conti Race King 2.2 29 inch on a bontrager rythm rim. Despite numerous attempts, I cannot get the tyre to seat properly. It seems as if the bead gets a bit stuck in the spoke bed and won't hook under the lip as it is supposed to. I have tried:

Pumping to about 6 bar, in the hope that it "pops" into place

Using a CO2 bomb for a really quick inflation

Turning the rimstrip around as it seems to run off to one side a bit and had taken on the shape of the spokebed

tyre on and off the rim at least 10 times :angry:

Unfortunately, apart from a really bumpy ride at 40 kph on the tar, it has damaged the tyre a bit just above the bead.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there an obvious solution that I am missing?

Try using a very soapy solution on the tyre. Just like they do with cars. It might give it the lube it needs to seat properly. It worked once for me when I had a slight seating issue. Used 3 teaspoons sunlight and 1 teaspoon water. I am not sure if it will work always though.. :unsure:

Edited by Top Fuel

I run the same rims...you need the BONDRAGER plastic liner that fits inside the rim.

The problem now is that there is no stock for the 29er Rhythm rims...so I was told by Cycle Lab.

They supplied me with the wrong liners....they only got for the 29er Race lite rims and they to narrow.

Now that you mention the race king problem. I have a similar issue. Trying to put a brand new Race king on XT Tubless Rim. The thing battles to seat and after I get it to seat it looses pressure over a few hours. Went for a ride and starts loosing pressure after about 40min slowly. I have tried putting it in water to find the leak but nothing. Checked the valve, added more sealant. I have basically given up with this specific tyre. Have put the old Race king back on and no problems.

This is crazy! I have done enought tyre changes and getto setups by now to know the pit falls. Have even done tubless on wire bead tyres.

I am wondering if there is no defect / deformation with the bead or something.

Don't think so! Had a similar problem with a Bontrager Jones tyre, eventually did enough damage to the area above the bead that the tyre blew at the bead..... so I bought a Conti Race King.......

race kings are great tyres but are built more like tube tyres - ie not very beefy with soft sidewalls and a loose fit on the rim - they are light as a result. I had all sorts of grief fitting them to my XT wheels - sometimes they'd pump easily other times not. They did retain air tho.

In comparison Maxxis ust tyres are a tight fit and pump up as if theres a tube in them. So, on your non ust rims, you have an even bigger battle with the RK's and I would imagine them being 29" does not help either. Try a Maxxis UST tyre and see if that sorts the problem.

Its the rim tape, the bontrager rythms need either special tape or the hard plastic type which has the form of the rim. i had the same problem and I took them to eagle canyon cycles and they fixed them up in no time, sinse then no problems, I do find the offset spokes make the valve seating look a bit strange.

ggod luck

Thanks to all. I now have a new Bontrager rimstrip and a bottle of dishwashing liquid. Zat tyre vil go on ja?

Report back - after lotsa soap and a new rimstrip, and re pumping to about 4.8 bar, there was a helluva load "pop" as the tyre seated itself properly. Let the pressure back down to 2.8 and ... no more wobble.

Thanks Guys for your help.