Saddle Height

Woolie

Try about 2cm!! Your knee should almost be straight at bottom of stroke...30degree angle if you are very technical.

Best is to drop by a LBS and get some proper set-up advice!! Best money I EVER spent!!

Thanks Cassie. Last time I upped it by 1cm and the knee got worse but I do think I should cough up and spend the money for a proper bike set up.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Cyclefit for 2 set ups, one on the mtb and one on tandem, they really helped!

Richard Baxter (one of Arran's team mates) does the set up, its really reasonable too, R350.

Thanks I will either give this a try or pop into my LBS to get it sorted out properly.

np - right set up is not just a matter of getting saddle height right, has to do with issues like saddle positioning on the seatpost clamp, height, handlbar positioning, cleat set up etc, all of which are interrelated and all of which can affect the optimum saddle height and positioning.

snip snip snip

I suppose the most accurate way to measure would be to put the calculator away and get a goniometer which measures joint angles.

Sounds like something to measure 'goons' with :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ive always use Greg LeMond's formula (Saddle height = inseem x 0.665).

Always worked for me.

Just my 2c

Anyone doing proper bike fitments in Durban? Or is there a link I can follow, Ive looked but cannot find :(

Edited by Caerus

A Proper Bike Set was the best money I've spent on the bike in ages.

Cyclefit are brilliant.

That said, it was simply tweaking, as opposed to major changes, but the small things add up

Where can you go in JHB for a proper setup?

Cyclefit in Northcliff, they are very thorough; go to www.cyclefit.co.za for contact details

My knees are different distances from the top tube when I cycle. Right is about 5cm from tube, but left is closer to 10. I dont feel uncomfortable, but its starting to bug me now. I must be slightly twisted on the bike, or left foot cants outward.

Anybody have something similar?

My knees are different distances from the top tube when I cycle. Right is about 5cm from tube, but left is closer to 10. I dont feel uncomfortable, but its starting to bug me now. I must be slightly twisted on the bike, or left foot cants outward.

Anybody have something similar?

I had same thing, my right cleat was too loose, causing my foot to move around on the pedal and hence the knee

I've been working on the sit heel touch method....

Sit on the saddle and drop the pedal to its lowest height, without rocking your hips and with no shoes on your heel should just touch the pedal top when your leg is straight, then do the other side...no real idea how accurate it is but it seems to work so far.

Ive always use Greg LeMond's formula (Saddle height = inseem x 0.665).

Always worked for me.

Just my 2c

Errr surprising as you have the formula wrong - its .883

Anyways read this article it gives you a few different methods

My link

A very simple solution worked for me, :)

Have a mate hold the bike straight, put your heel on the pedal and push down till your leg is 100% straight. Lock in that saddle height, now when you clip in and you push all the way down you will notice a slight bend in your kneee when the pedal is all the way down.

This works like a charm for me, The most comfortable I have been. Though I am not a racing snake and dont know the science that the racers use to accelerate fast or put down more power etc. This however stopped my knee pain instantly and i feel much more blanced and comfortable on the bike especially grinding up hills.

I suppose the most accurate way to measure would be to put the calculator away and get a goniometer which measures joint angles.

An even better way would be to use a camera and motion tracking software. That way you can see what your legs do dynamically throughout the pedal stroke, rather than in a single fixed, static position.