Mintek closed - Where else to go?

Hog_

I'm sure there's lots of MTBers who need a safe, accessible place to train during the week. Mintek sounded ideal, but now they're closed. So where else? My main criteria is that one should be able to get there without sitting in too much traffic from the Randburg/Bryanston/Sandton areas. Excluding the spruit, I managed to find the following via google, although I don't know who would allow MTBing on the premises. Please keep in mind that I haven't been to these places, only googled them.

Outspan Bird Sanctuary

Fourways gardens

Lonehill koppies/Nature reserve

Mushroom farm (Somewhere in Sandton apparently)

Butterfly pig (Doubt this is still going)

Forest farm (William Nicol and Republic)

Rietfontein Ridge (Paulshof)

Anyone know of any more places that one could approach in this regard? Anyone have any contacts?

Should I just give up now cause someone tries this once a year without success?

Butterfly pig (Doubt this is still going)

Damn, it would be sooo cool if they can get something going there.

Anyway, does anybody know what ever happened to the plans for the bike park in Randburg. The one behind the Golden harvest or Shady Pines retirement home.

mushroom farm looks like it became the epicentre of the gautrain....never went there beforehand so dont know how big it actually was...

the problem i think with those places is that they are not secure

that's what was good with mintek - it was in an enclosed area

they are building a park by me but i don't think i'd like to ride there at night anyway....

mushroom farm looks like it became the epicentre of the gautrain....never went there beforehand so dont know how big it actually was...

the problem i think with those places is that they are not secure

that's what was good with mintek - it was in an enclosed area

they are building a park by me but i don't think i'd like to ride there at night anyway....

Exactly my problem with the spruit - opportunists have learnt that there's easy shopping on the spruit.

There's the bird sanctuary behind the Jaguar dealership on William Nicol as well. I still have to figure out where the entrance is though LOL

Does anyone know what actually happened?

I was at the sprogs race with my family on Saturday and there were rumours of a hijacking or something in the parking lot.

Does anyone know what actually happened?

I was at the sprogs race with my family on Saturday and there were rumours of a hijacking or something in the parking lot.

thinks it's a bit more than rumours though...

Considering the MASSIVE amount of interest this thread created, I thought maybe I should revive it with a small bump!

I emailed the Butterfly Pig place - no response.

Anyone have any other ideas?

And the east?

Another place that's gone is the Greenhills Driving Range in Edenvale/Germiston border. Half the land is now industrial development and the rest is badly maintained.

Sizwe Hospital is unsafe, what happened to the mounted police we used to have? Greenstone Hill is now too developed, I know there was talk of something being done in Modderfontein,  but that's gone quiet.

Considering the MASSIVE amount of interest this thread created' date=' I thought maybe I should revive it with a small bump!

[/quote']

hasn't that been closed for like two years or something?

Considering the MASSIVE amount of interest this thread created' date=' I thought maybe I should revive it with a small bump!

[/quote']

The website is still active, so I had a bit of hope.

[/quote']

The website is still active, so I had a bit of hope.

friend of mine, who's the chief photog for the times, wanted to do a photo feature on riding in jozi. he got hold of linden cycles (i think?) who did the permits and they said it'd been closed for a while. shame, it looked cool.

If we had a cameraman we could do some kind of "Survivor MTB" where competitors ride through unsavoury parts of Josi armed with pepper spray.