Fork squeal

Crustyy

Hi Hubbers,

I've done a search on this and could not find anything...

I'm quite new to the sport, bought a 2nd hand Merida HFS 3000 with Manitou Black Super air 80mm on 5-12-2010. The bike is in very good condition, but the only thing bothering me is when you compress the fork and let it up quickly (or pop a wheelie B) ), the fork squeals as it return. Sounds to me like air/foaming in the oil rushing through the valves... but it will do the same even after standing for a while to settle foaming if it is that?

Is this a sign of oil level too low or is this normal?

Thx

Edited by Crustyy

Don't know about 'squeal/squeek' but my fox's do make like a 'sucking sound almost but that was since new .... never a problem

Ja, that is probably a better description of the sound!? So this is normal?

I ride off-road bikes and never heard this before, but that is an upside down fork...

Ok squeak / squeal or squelch sound? By your description of "Sounds to me like air/foaming in the oil rushing through the valves..." to me its sounds more the squelch

If thats the case the fork may need to have the oil replaced as it is cavitating - ie its old and molecules are breaking up.... Service will sort that.

If its a higher pitched squeal / squeak - not sure, but that would require a look see in my opinion.

If you up north in Pretoria, give Johan Bornmann a PM to see if Mr wizard can't solve your forking problem! :lol:

Is it air or spring loaded? Maybe it is dry inside?

Air (Super Air), sounds like the damping side though...

Ok squeak / squeal or squelch sound? By your description of "Sounds to me like air/foaming in the oil rushing through the valves..." to me its sounds more the squelch

If thats the case the fork may need to have the oil replaced as it is cavitating - ie its old and molecules are breaking up.... Service will sort that.

If its a higher pitched squeal / squeak - not sure, but that would require a look see in my opinion.

If you up north in Pretoria, give Johan Bornmann a PM to see if Mr wizard can't solve your forking problem! :lol:

That's exactly it! Thx, so I was not too far off? I'm downloading a service manual for it now, seems quite easy to replace oil... But I will keep Johan in mind ;)