26", 29", hard or soft?

chris_w_65

I bought a Gary Fisher 29er after a long layoff from mountain biking. Needless to say I crashed it 3 weeks after buying it. Broke my left shoulder and ribs and did major damage to myself (much like Chris_W_65). Was loving it before I crashed. It certainly is a lot faster than the 26", but doesnt handle as nimbly. After healing I took my 26" on holiday in december and haven't looked back. I just prefer the immediate response when you kick down, its much easier to jump and bunnyhop (often needed when riding singletrack) but I feel like I can ride further with less effort on the 29er. Once rolling the 29er feels like it will run forever, which is a huge mental boost if you're not fit.

I have both and think for now I will put the 29er on the rack and carry on riding the 26" for the meantime(which I hope to get sub 9Kg's on my next upgrade).

I'm not going to sell the 29er as I feel there might be a need for it in the future.

If anyone in the Bryanston area wants to ride the 29er just PM me and we can go for a ride along the spruit to help you make up your own mind.

Live fast, ride faster.....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Gary Fisher 29er after a long layoff from mountain biking. Needless to say I crashed it 3 weeks after buying it. Broke my left shoulder and ribs and did major damage to myself (much like Chris_W_65). Was loving it before I crashed. It certainly is a lot faster than the 26", but doesnt handle as nimbly. After healing I took my 26" on holiday in december and haven't looked back. I just prefer the immediate response when you kick down, its much easier to jump and bunnyhop (often needed when riding singletrack) but I feel like I can ride further with less effort on the 29er. Once rolling the 29er feels like it will run forever, which is a huge mental boost if you're not fit.

I have both and think for now I will put the 29er on the rack and carry on riding the 26" for the meantime(which I hope to get sub 9Kg's on my next upgrade).

I'm not going to sell the 29er as I feel there might be a need for it in the future.

If anyone in the Bryanston area wants to ride the 29er just PM me and we can go for a ride along the spruit to help you make up your own mind.

Live fast, ride faster.....

Thanks for the info and offer. I think I will go with the 26" myself :)

I think I have decided on a 26", at the moment I am trying to choose between a Merida 96-3000 and a Merida 120-1500

Comments? Spanners in the works?

If I take the 120 and add R1000.00 I can put XT wheels on it

I had a 2010 Merida 96 and bough a Giant Anthem X 29er. The 96 was a large and the 29er is XL. Although the bike is much bigger, I found the following:

1. The 29er is 1,4kg lighter!

2. Handle much better. I simply cannot understand those saying a 26" bike is more nimble. I found the opposite. Maybe it is the angles/wheelbase/tapered HT/ don't know, but it works!

3. Climb way better than the Merida.

4. Technical stuff is much easier.

5. Get less tired on the 29er.

6. I now have rear suss, the Merida was close to a HT. The suss remains active under braking, etc.

The only negative items I have on the 29er is that it is not easy to bunny hop - but do you realy need it?

Will I buy the Merida? Not while the Giant is available.

Will I buy 26"? Not while I can get a 29er.

My advice to you is that you don't base your decision on what everyone has to say. Rent/steal/borrow a 29er and you will realize that the bike sell itself. You need to experience it before you make a final call.

Ns. My XL dual suss 29er is 11.8kg.

I had a 2010 Merida 96 and bough a Giant Anthem X 29er. The 96 was a large and the 29er is XL. Although the bike is much bigger, I found the following:

1. The 29er is 1,4kg lighter!

2. Handle much better. I simply cannot understand those saying a 26" bike is more nimble. I found the opposite. Maybe it is the angles/wheelbase/tapered HT/ don't know, but it works!

3. Climb way better than the Merida.

4. Technical stuff is much easier.

5. Get less tired on the 29er.

6. I now have rear suss, the Merida was close to a HT. The suss remains active under braking, etc.

The only negative items I have on the 29er is that it is not easy to bunny hop - but do you realy need it?

Will I buy the Merida? Not while the Giant is available.

Will I buy 26"? Not while I can get a 29er.

My advice to you is that you don't base your decision on what everyone has to say. Rent/steal/borrow a 29er and you will realize that the bike sell itself. You need to experience it before you make a final call.

Ns. My XL dual suss 29er is 11.8kg.

Well, what do you expect? It's a Merida......

That's why I put the offer out there that my 29er is available for a test before the purchase of another 26".

Chris, ride it.......

Edited by King_Crispy

That's why I put the offer out there that my 29er is available for a test before the purchase of another 26".

Chris, ride it.......

I even fall off when I am riding a baby bike. How will I ride a monster truck? :unsure:

What size is your 29er?

Chris, ride it.......

Very nice gesture. He will be a fool to miss the offer.

For what it's worth. I am only 1.87 tall, but my legs is looong. My saddle heigth is 82cm and when I am on a Large Merida (20"), the saddle is way up vs the handle bars. It was even worse on the Large Giant Anthem.

XL is supposed to be to big (but then Giant recommends that the size is for riders between 6'1" and 6'5"). The XL fits perfectly, but I did feel that it was a tad too long. It got a standard 110mm stem and I first tried a 100mm stem and noticed a big diff in handling. I now have a 90mm stem and the fit is perfect. I am very comfortable on the bike. The BIG win was way better handling. I can honestly say the bike is more nimble than my Merida 96 which was a smaller bike.

If you feel the GF is not nimble, try a shorter stem!! Maybe it will surprise you.

Very nice gesture. He will be a fool to miss the offer.

For what it's worth. I am only 1.87 tall, but my legs is looong. My saddle heigth is 82cm and when I am on a Large Merida (20"), the saddle is way up vs the handle bars. It was even worse on the Large Giant Anthem.

XL is supposed to be to big (but then Giant recommends that the size is for riders between 6'1" and 6'5"). The XL fits perfectly, but I did feel that it was a tad too long. It got a standard 110mm stem and I first tried a 100mm stem and noticed a big diff in handling. I now have a 90mm stem and the fit is perfect. I am very comfortable on the bike. The BIG win was way better handling. I can honestly say the bike is more nimble than my Merida 96 which was a smaller bike.

If you feel the GF is not nimble, try a shorter stem!! Maybe it will surprise you.

Is this the one?

post-18048-0-92525100-1294515734.jpg

PS. This is the Large that is still available, where I bought mine. Note the seat height! It was at maximum mark and still 5mm of my required height. I took it for a quick spin on Friday and prefer my XL.

Terrible Cell Phone photo.

post-10303-0-05302500-1294515765.jpg

Is this the one?

Yes, except for the price. Way to high. PM me if you are interested in the Large. I can check if I can get you the same price as what I paid for mine.

Giant recommended size for large [L = riders between 5’10” – 6’1” (1778 - 1854)]

Large is too big for me :(

I am 5"8 so medium

I am 5"8 so medium

I have a medium with a 110 stem. I have ordered a 90mm from CRC as well as a full XT groupset. I was told riser bars make a huge difference, so those were ordered also. Order should be here tuesday.

Chris, I will let you know when the upgrade has been done on my 29er, or would you like to ride it like it is and also see the difference before i change it?

I have a medium with a 110 stem. I have ordered a 90mm from CRC as well as a full XT groupset. I was told riser bars make a huge difference, so those were ordered also. Order should be here tuesday.

Chris, I will let you know when the upgrade has been done on my 29er, or would you like to ride it like it is and also see the difference before i change it?

Will let you know, thanks.

Shimano SPD?

I am 5"8 so medium

Medium is also available, but in the white and blue. (As per your photo)

• 3 weeks later...

Ready for a try-out yet? Or are you too busy playing with the roadies? C'mon, the spruit is nice & muddy at the moment.... We leaving my spot in Bryanston at around 7:30ish saturday am. Let me know. PS CRC sent me 9spd XT kit not the 10's