IM Triathlon training program

perhaps join a club and their program? loads more fun training in a group.

but if that creditcard is burning a hole in your pocket, u can dole out some cash here..

another interesting link

General advice here.

But i'm totally clueless about this sorta thing :P, i'm sure others who actually do tri will swing round with better advice.

Edited by Capricorn

Tip 1: Make sure you can run. Strong. Do lots of 25km runs.

Tip 2: You cannot do too many brick sessions, trust me. Go for that 120km training ride, get home and go for a 5km run immediatelly. It hurts allot.

Tip 3: Don't stress the swim, its lekker. If someone hits you in the face make sure you hit them back before you leave the water. I did.

Tip 4: If you see yourself as a strong cyclist, DON'T get cocky and nail the bike leg. You'll pay for it in the last 60km. PACE yourself. I lost 10 minutes per lap because I started too fast.

Tip 5: NO component swops or upgrades in the week leading up to IM. I put on a "TT" saddle a few days before IM 2010 thinking I'm being clever, only to get terrible hip cramps 100km in. Ride what you are used to.

Tip 6: Try to get "real" food in. I found it very funny running past guys standing next to the road puking their lungs out, thinking what losers they are. When I got home I did the same. BHARF. Your stomach can just handle as much Gu, power drinks and energy bars before it backfires. Get a banana in, Marmite salticracks and Provitas, have some salty snacks in your food box, etc. You'll loose ALLOT of salt via sweat. There are lots of water points on the route. You can pull away with only your aero bottle between your tribars and pick up a bottle at the first waterpoint about 15km in.

Tip 7: Sunblock. Spend 1 minute extra in transition and give the fat girl a go rubbing sunblock all over you. She'll thank you immediatelly and you'll thank her later.

You can get Raynard Tissink to work out training program for you, I did. Costs a penny, but worth it. Makes the training a no-brainer.

Tip 1: Make sure you can run. Strong. Do lots of 25km runs.

Tip 2: You cannot do too many brick sessions, trust me. Go for that 120km training ride, get home and go for a 5km run immediatelly. It hurts allot.

Tip 3: Don't stress the swim, its lekker. If someone hits you in the face make sure you hit them back before you leave the water. I did.

Tip 4: If you see yourself as a strong cyclist, DON'T get cocky and nail the bike leg. You'll pay for it in the last 60km. PACE yourself. I lost 10 minutes per lap because I started too fast.

Tip 5: NO component swops or upgrades in the week leading up to IM. I put on a "TT" saddle a few days before IM 2010 thinking I'm being clever, only to get terrible hip cramps 100km in. Ride what you are used to.

Tip 6: Try to get "real" food in. I found it very funny running past guys standing next to the road puking their lungs out, thinking what losers they are. When I got home I did the same. BHARF. Your stomach can just handle as much Gu, power drinks and energy bars before it backfires. Get a banana in, Marmite salticracks and Provitas, have some salty snacks in your food box, etc. You'll loose ALLOT of salt via sweat. There are lots of water points on the route. You can pull away with only your aero bottle between your tribars and pick up a bottle at the first waterpoint about 15km in.

Tip 7: Sunblock. Spend 1 minute extra in transition and give the fat girl a go rubbing sunblock all over you. She'll thank you immediatelly and you'll thank her later.

You can get Raynard Tissink to work out training program for you, I did. Costs a penny, but worth it. Makes the training a no-brainer.

Thanks for all the tips, are you doing it again?

Edited by EpicRider

perhaps join a club and their program? loads more fun training in a group.

but if that creditcard is burning a hole in your pocket, u can dole out some cash here..

another interesting link

General advice here.

But i'm totally clueless about this sorta thing :P, i'm sure others who actually do tri will swing round with better advice.

Thanks for the reply - Think I will go with the triahlon geek training program and tweek to fit my schedule

Thanks for all the tips, are you doing it again?

Nope, not for the foreseeable future. I've been getting lots of nerve problems lately so don't want to do anything "extreme" until I've sorted myself out.

Azonic: How much was Tissink's program?

I think it was like R600 a month. I was on it for 3 months. You train twice a day, every day. NO rest days, only "lighter" training days.