Tokai trails

Sup fellas...

Has anyone else noticed the sudden affluence of large sandy deposits at the bottom end of DH1/Vasbyt, just after the bridge and smack bang in the landing zone of the bridge's drop-off?

Was showing the lady around there yesterday and my front wheel got schnaffed by the sand, which resulted in a dis-honourable dismount in a place that has never before troubled me... Took it in the face, elbow and shoulder...

Okay - I was going slower than normal owing to the guided tour I was giving, but not so much that it would have made a difference in normal circumstances.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I saw Snake Eyes yesterday and it wasn't looking pretty!

Bring on winter and the rain!

Yea its not. No Flow in snake eyes atm. Maybe after a hard rain but after a drizzle its going to be fun :thumbdown:

it's for that very reason i stay away from Snake Eyes. it's worse than learning to ice skate. u all over the damn place.. totally meh.. <_<

bottom of DH 1 cant have sand like snake eyes. It's just clay with a downslope, so i'd expect any loose soil to just run off into the jeep track, hence all those roots, unless u referring to the top third of DH1 before the rocky tech section. it's pretty flat there, but lotsa trees...

The reality: Tokai gets sandy & loose in parts when dry in summer because of the sand that is washed onto the trail by the winter rains.

The reason: Rumour has it that AMArider stopped doing maintenance in Tokai because SANparks are impossible to deal with.

The solution: The sandy parts will thus remain unless we clean it away ourselves.

What I do: Ride big 2.35 or even 2.5 Kenda Nevegals on the front and keep the pressure as low as you can. You'll be amazed how much better the sand will be. Picking your line also becomes much more critical and when jumping and landing in sand, keep the weight a bit off the front wheel.

it's for that very reason i stay away from Snake Eyes. it's worse than learning to ice skate. u all over the damn place.. totally meh.. <_<

bottom of DH 1 cant have sand like snake eyes. It's just clay with a downslope, so i'd expect any loose soil to just run off into the jeep track, hence all those roots, unless u referring to the top third of DH1 before the rocky tech section. it's pretty flat there, but lotsa trees...

Nope - referring to the very bottom of Vasbyt (that some okes call DH1) just by the "north shore" style section and the drop-off following that... Helluva sandy following that section there!

But then, I'm pretty sure the fail was due to the low speed I was carrying through there.

Next section to explore is DH2... Really wanna get in there!

The reality: Tokai gets sandy & loose in parts when dry in summer because of the sand that is washed onto the trail by the winter rains.

The reason: Rumour has it that AMArider stopped doing maintenance in Tokai because SANparks are impossible to deal with.

The solution: The sandy parts will thus remain unless we clean it away ourselves.

What I do: Ride big 2.35 or even 2.5 Kenda Nevegals on the front and keep the pressure as low as you can. You'll be amazed how much better the sand will be. Picking your line also becomes much more critical and when jumping and landing in sand, keep the weight a bit off the front wheel.

Not cool! AMARider pulling out, that is. I can imagine that the guys at Sanparks can be a bit stiff to deal with. *** for us though.

On the same subject though - what would be the process if we wanted to tart up a few sections ie: clean them up - not change them, but remove sand & bulk up the decaying sections?

Vasbyt is DH3 btw, says so on the sign :).

I love the sand, but that's just me, I tend to like those really loose tracks with lots of 2 wheel drifting.

@ Mayhem

1. The first option is to contact Amarider and see if they can organise a maintenance working party. Sometimes they have workers and funds, sometimes not.

2. Second option is to see if Amarider can organise a volunteer working party to do the work. I have joined them for a few of these, it is always fun and you meet the very best kind of mtbiker.

3. I do not recommend that you get a party of your own together and go up the mountain with spades and rakes. (Brooms work well for getting sand off the trail, by the way.) The reason is this: Sanparks have become seriously unhappy with people building new unauthorised trails in Tokai - that is in part what caused the trouble - and they are likely to mistake your noble intentions. We simply cannot risk pissing them off and possibly losing the ride.

4. What a couple of us do, is simply to take a small fold up spade in a backpack, when we ride at quiet times, and get on with fixing things like erosion gullies. Must say' I personally don't bother much with sand because I seem to be able to float it (except the other day when I also crashed below the boardwalk).

yep Mayhem, that section u referring to is after DH3 actually. This aint too bad (stills cropped from vid taken a few weeks back)

post-6789-0-21421500-1295157969.jpg

At the northshore

post-6789-0-79653300-1295157981.jpg

just after northshore drop off

DH1 is way on top. But in relative terms, if u think that's sandy, try going down snake eyes. <_< meh..

btw: anyone know these three extremely thoughtful chaps <_< :

post-6789-0-91452100-1295158076.jpgpost-6789-0-33534900-1295158082.jpgpost-6789-0-72663800-1295158087.jpg

Edited by Capricorn

Ah - perspective gained.

As for the sand - it was AFTER that bridge section that the sand is worst on that section... last week it seemed PRETTY bad. But then, it would most likely have been the off that skewed my perception!

And Capircorn, mate - they couldn't have said they couldn't hear you coming down! At least one of them is (semi) off the trail. As a rule, I don't go UP vasbyt for that very reason. If the guys want to, they should come in halfway up. If at all. I think of that portion there as DH only...

Just a quick q though - on that 3rd pic - which side of the stump do you go? Left or right?