bakkie options...

vinylguy

I have a Corsa Utility with a thick rubber mat. If it's just my bike I lie it down. If there's more than one bike, we put them upsidedown so they're resting on their bar ends and saddles and then use a piece of rope from the hook on the one side, looped round a pedal from each bike and then tied to the other side. Very quick no fuss.

But security is an issue - If you're going to stop somewhere en route to or from your ride you need to remember to use a cable lock etc. The problem there is that the combination cable locks are too big to go through the metal loops on the inside of the bak. To get round that I got a big padlock and padlocked the middle of the cable to the loop and then lock the bike with the cable...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have actually once forgotten my wife at home...Wen't out to load the car...Got in and drove to the gate...Saw the wife in the rear view mirror...Sheepishly reversed back.

Told her I was just making sure the bikes are secure in the back... :blush:

mount full of tea, check

read a hellava funny post, check

spray tea on keyboard, check

wipe tea off screen, check

try stop breathing tea through the nose, check.

Brilliant !

Edited by Slowbee

I have a Corsa Utility with a thick rubber mat. If it's just my bike I lie it down. If there's more than one bike, we put them upsidedown so they're resting on their bar ends and saddles and then use a piece of rope from the hook on the one side, looped round a pedal from each bike and then tied to the other side. Very quick no fuss.

But security is an issue - If you're going to stop somewhere en route to or from your ride you need to remember to use a cable lock etc. The problem there is that the combination cable locks are too big to go through the metal loops on the inside of the bak. To get round that I got a big padlock and padlocked the middle of the cable to the loop and then lock the bike with the cable...

Security is an issue, granted. I picked up one of those 12mm sleeved, braided steel cables from Builders Warehouse that I lock my bikes up with. I know it's strong - had a break-in (faulty electric gate without a lift-off preventer on the one side) and the guys broke 3 wpoxied, rawl bolted securing bolts from the walls outside. Twisted the cabling so badly that it is now irrepairably kinked, but they still couldn't get the bikes away due to the cable being so strong. Also try to break through that with a chain-cutter. Not going to work! The lock is the weak point, unless it's the right lock!