Garmin 800

zuludog

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the verdict: 705 or 800?

I am looking at getting one of them but can't really decide. Obviously the 800 will cost more because it's the 'upgrade' but is it worth the price difference? It has a few more features, smaller size, bigger screen and weighs less. The only thing it loses is the wireless unit to unit transfer.

Definitely the 800!

I smaak my 800 stukkend. :thumbup::thumbup:

Have had the 305 and the 705.

The 800 has more screens, i.e. more detail at hand, thermometer and very nice new Virtual Partner® option. The bike mount and the calorie counter have also been improved. I have loaded Tracks4Africa as basemap and it works nicely.

Looks cool too.

Just my 2c worth.

@SirK The only thing it loses is the wireless unit to unit transfer. Which I never used once in the 2 years I had my 705! You get all the tracks you need via Garmin Connect on the net.

For road or mtb

I personally think its a bit of a waste for mtb, rather go edge 500 if mtb

Obviously you have never used a 705. I love my 705 and although I have used the 500, would never swap.

I love the mapping and routing for the road. I have also loaded the topo sheets and it's great for MTBing. I like to be able to see where I am and where I am going.

So, if you want a pure cycling computer, go for the 500. I you are wanting a great navigation device plus a cycling computer, go for the 800 (when it arrives).

The great thing about the 800 is that it also has temperature (like to 500). The 705 I have doesn't do temperature and I like to know how cold it is in winter for boasting purposes.

I'd also recommend to buy in SA. I had to swap out two 305s and it was never an issue.

@SirK The only thing it loses is the wireless unit to unit transfer. Which I never used once in the 2 years I had my 705! You get all the tracks you need via Garmin Connect on the net.

I have used this a couple of times and it was handy, but losing it won't lose me any sleep...

Just got back from my morning ride. I decided to do the Norwood Saturday morning ride on a Sunday. I'm not too familiar with the route and didn't know that the gates in Benoni were locked at 06:30 on a Sunday morning. Luckily I had my Garmin 705 and with the maps I managed to navigate back onto the route although I was totally lost!

Yay Garmin! :clap:

According to the DHL tracking site my 800 will be here on Monday. Great service from CRC! I paid R 3400 for my 800 from them.(excl. delivery) Not a bad price. Some SA shops is still selling the 705 for 4-5.8k

I bought my 800 from CRC and absolutely love it. Its my first Garmin so dont have anything to compare it to though.

Obviously you have never used a 705. I love my 705 and although I have used the 500, would never swap.

I love the mapping and routing for the road. I have also loaded the topo sheets and it's great for MTBing. I like to be able to see where I am and where I am going.

So, if you want a pure cycling computer, go for the 500. I you are wanting a great navigation device plus a cycling computer, go for the 800 (when it arrives).

The great thing about the 800 is that it also has temperature (like to 500). The 705 I have doesn't do temperature and I like to know how cold it is in winter for boasting purposes.

I'd also recommend to buy in SA. I had to swap out two 305s and it was never an issue.

Actually I have, borrowed one for a weekend...and this is exactly why I am saying what I am saying.

I think you summed it up, the "mapping and routing for the road" is great not denying that but as soon as you go off anything district road, you are screwed, the riding into the green ether effect. I do most of my riding at Van Gaalens, the 800 will not plot the river singletrack or "oom piet's" for me cause, like I said before...it doesn't exist according to garmap, they are not streets or roads. I can't ask my 800 to take me to the "greek church" route at the top of the concrete slabs because I want to make my ride 15km longer in the end or get me back onto a specific trail because I am lost. These trails are what I ride on 90% of the time, and like I said before, I want to get off the district roads asap being a mtb'er. Also I did mention it would be a great tool for roadies because you get turn by turn directions and yes then you can ask the 800 to take you home or to the coffee shop because you are riding on roads it can supply navigation on, it cannot do the same on trails. As far as downloading routes go, the 500 will give you breadcrumbs and it works perfectly, its one of my favourite functions of the device.

So the 500 is cheaper, lighter and has a better battery life with all the functions except turn by turn directions on tar and district road that I don't use cause I am always on the trail. Look I am not saying its worse than the 500 but the extra colour screen, and turn by turn directions are not worth it for a mtb'er...my 2c

but it can take you to the greek church, mark the location, and it will direct you to it!

you can also load all your favorite routes and when you get lost, just ask it to direct you to the trial (even when you are not on any plotted roads!)

but it can take you to the greek church, mark the location, and it will direct you to it!

you can also load all your favorite routes and when you get lost, just ask it to direct you to the trial (even when you are not on any plotted roads!)

Not from the outset, if you haven't previously took the exact trail to the greek church you expecting it to take now, it won't know the route...same with the 500 so once you have done the route you can save it and recall it later, but so can the 500. People expect it to work like a nuvi on the trail for example turn at tree 4 and bunnyhop gap ahead, mind the frog on the right, if you then change your mind and want to go somewhere else it must magically show you the other trails...maybe even the shortest one ( :D like with a car type gps) that you have never ridden before in that area. It will work like a nuvi on the road because it can navigate on it without you having been there before...like with a car gps. Also if you are lost at a specific spot on a trail it 10-1 means you have never been there before and have never ended up at your desired destination from there so it won't know how to get you out of there via the trails, once you hit a district road however you will be ok, but that is not where I want directions from.

Guest agteros

Not from the outset, if you haven't previously took the exact trail to the greek church you expecting it to take now, it won't know the route...same with the 500 so once you have done the route you can save it and recall it later, but so can the 500. People expect it to work like a nuvi on the trail for example turn at tree 4 and bunnyhop gap ahead, mind the frog on the right, if you then change your mind and want to go somewhere else it must magically show you the other trails...maybe even the shortest one ( :D like with a car type gps) that you have never ridden before in that area. It will work like a nuvi on the road because it can navigate on it without you having been there before...like with a car gps. Also if you are lost at a specific spot on a trail it 10-1 means you have never been there before and have never ended up at your desired destination from there so it won't know how to get you out of there via the trails, once you hit a district road however you will be ok, but that is not where I want directions from.

Ok, so the problem is not the Edge 800 but rather the data on the map set? You(collective/plural/non-specify) CAN map a route / trail on BaseCamp, which comes with the 800 and transfer that to the 800.

Maybe look at other maps than the SA Streetmaps. Kinda daft to expect streetmaps to show offroad trails .... Alternatively you can purchase the Tracks4Africa map sets which were compiled by offroad (4x4) fans.

You could even compile your own maps from activities on Garmin Connect and use those on the 800... Just a bit of elbow grease and Robert is the brother of your mother thumbup1.gif

A magic answer as a fully detailed map to trails on private land it definitely is not!

obviously, if you havent been there before, you would not have been able to mark the location.

But you can download trails, tracks and race routes from websites or mates before hand and prepare a little.

When you get lost in a place you have never been before (or didnt prepare) use the "back home" navigation and the device will navigate you back to the start point of you route, normally where you parked your car!

people have been getting lost without Garmins for ages, if you get lost with one, there are no pills for stupidity! ;)