Anodising MTB Hubs ?

Tangoblu

Was thinking of pimping my bark....anyone ever anodised their MTB hubs ? or is it better to just replace with new colour'd ones ?

Who make the Best MTB hubs in your opinion ?

Cheers

hmmm... well if your current hubs have sealed bearings it may be possible to anodise. Only thing is they need to be prepped (sand or bead blasting) and that may damage them.

So I would buy new hubs in your desired colour.

As for 'the best'... well... Chris Kings or Industry 9s are good (and both come in colourful options)... but both are very pricey.

So the best value for money hub I've found are Hope Pro IIs. You'll pay about R2000 for a set. They come in quite a few colour options. Sealed Bearings. Strong. And have that Trademark Hope noise that people love/hate (I love mine).

So yeah, depending on your budget, 'the best' may vary... but Hope Pro IIs would be my recommendation.

Edited by patches

oh and forgot to mention, look on CRC, CWC or buycycle for good prices on Hope hubs. The two local sites (CWC and Buycycle) have got some sort of specials on them (last I checked), but CRC may still be the cheapest.

If you are feeling rich, CRC has Chris Kings and Rush Sports (the Morewood agents based in PMB) have Industry 9.

Hope's are great value for money. But also great, period.

However, my Chris Kings have been badly neglected and in spite of that, after almost 6 years, are still on the original bearings, which are made by King and unlike normal cartridge bearings are fully serviceable.

But ja, these days they're flippen expensive. I just bought them because at the time they were very cheap from CRC.

If you want CK Hubs check out www.aspirevelotech.com. Normally free shipping to SA too.

+1

Best service of any online store I've used....by far.

Was actually just making up a shopping list on their site this morning. Need to get the tools so I can service my hub more often

my opinion: dont waste time doing something that should be left for the professionals - especially if its for bling. it never comes out as nice as you imagined it anyway... leave it as is or get new hubs. if you getting new hubs, might as well get the whole wheelset and sell the older one or use it as a training set.