What front tyre

Guest coenie

What front tyre would you recommend to use on the front?

Doing Marathon rides....For excample The Attakwas and Epic?

The monorail wbbles...and the crossmark is for the back so they are out....Any other ideas

Conti Mountain King 2.2 or Kenda Nevagal 2.1

I had the crossmark in the front but the lack of grip on the summer single track became a issue. With the MK, no more issues.

I ride the MK and my wife rode the KN

my two cents worth.

Personnally I ride a mountain king 2.2 front. It's fast rolling and grippy, perfect for marathons, and works well in wet/muddy conditions as well.

What front tyre would you recommend to use on the front?

Doing Marathon rides....For excample The Attakwas and Epic?

The monorail wbbles...and the crossmark is for the back so they are out....Any other ideas

Currently have 2.2 tubeless MK(front) and RK(back)...Heavy but tough and good grip in the wet. Not so good on quartz hardpack...

Wanna try the GEAX Mezcal and Saguaro next, looks like a potent combo with a good balance of everything.

For stage race...UST is a must in my opinion. Day races you can go weight weenie

For me there is only one choice these days: Geax Barro Mountain TNT. Surprisingly low rolling resistance, gripy in corners, verrrrry durable even on tar and it's light. Great in all conditions although obviously not a mud specific tyre. Imo the Saguaro has even lower running resistance and that for a larger volume tyre, but not as grippy in the corners as the Barro. Happy shopping.

With the spruit submerged I was impressed by my Maxxis Ignitor UST up front. Bit heavy and high rolling resistance for jeep track, but good tread for cornering and self cleaning in the muck.

don't forget the Schalwbe Rocket Ron... light, great in dry and mud, excellent grip...

What does these go for in UST these days? Thought of checking them out myself, but worried about durability and price.

Currently have 2.2 tubeless MK(front) and RK(back)...Heavy but tough and good grip in the wet. Not so good on quartz hardpack...

Wanna try the GEAX Mezcal and Saguaro next, looks like a potent combo with a good balance of everything.

For stage race...UST is a must in my opinion. Day races you can go weight weenie

I run the GEAX Mezcal(back) and Saguaro(front) combo. It works really well for me. In my opinion you cant go wrong with them.

What does these go for in UST these days? Thought of checking them out myself, but worried about durability and price.

universal system tubeless

Very yummy tires for front! Durability for a front tire will also be good, you'll probably get 4000km out of it! I been using Rocket on the front for the last 2500km, NON UST EVO and only problem up to date was a nasty nail that I fixed with a tubeless repair thingy. If you need more nobby then go for the Nobby Nic, very similar to rocket with a little bit more resistance. They are very light and compared to heavier tires will make the wheels much lighter with better feedback!

I have just finished testing Continental's new X-King for them and in my opinion, it is a truly great tyre for front wheel use. I have ridden the Mountain King [new version coming too] and the Race King on the front before - Epic, Outback, Sani2C etc. - and they are all great tyres, no doubt. But the X King has given me more grip in both straight-line braking and cornering than ever before. It really grips!

Rolling resistance is minimal; best proof of this lies in riding it on the tar on my way to the trail.

I have not used it in mud, though. That substance has been lacking here in the Western Cape for a while ...:rolleyes: But on the singletrack in Jonkershoek, the rocky tracks of Delvira and the rolling hills close to Malmesbury, these tyres are king!

Wear seems to be very good. I have put some 1000km while testing them, and it starts to show a liitle wear now only.

Conti offers the X King in different versions, including UST and protection. I have tested the RS [Race Sport] version which comes in at 512g on my scale. The clever thing about this version is that it uses a UST bead - so, it is easy to mount. I have inflated mine with a foot pump after putting SLUDGE in the tyres - really easy.

Hope this helps!

don't forget the Schalwbe Rocket Ron... light, great in dry and mud, excellent grip...

I changed from crossmark all round to geax mezcal back and rocket Ron front. Crossmarks were not so good on my anthem and tended to washout a bit. Rocket Ron has great grip but not durable and sidewalls too thin. Got a blowout coming down tokai on fri evening and took a bad tumble. Promptly changed front to geax barro mountain TNT yesterday. Will let you know once tested properly. Very personal choices this tyre story.