Tri shoes versus road shoes

Lenard

Ive done 3 tri's in normal road shoes.

The major drawback of a normal road shoes IMHO for tri

1. Difficult to put on at speed

2. Generally have to wear socks

3. Cant really run in them coz of the carbon/plastic bottom

Just make sure you are organised in transition and it should'nt be a problem.

Running in and out of transition has always been the major drawback for me in cycling shoes, but if you look at the pros they leave the shoes in the pedals and run barefoot. I did that in sun city, as soon as I got into the dismount area I spent 30 seconds and took them off and ran with bike in one hand, shoes in another. Worked fine.

I bought a pair of Tri shoes for a number of reasons:

- dont need to wear socks

- much easier fastening

- and it was at a bargain basement price

the main difference is that a tri shoe usually has only one strap so it makes it easier/quicker to get your feet in and out, tri shoes arent going to make a difference to run in as you using the same cleats anyway, best thing is to leave your shoes clipped into your peddles for a tri anyway (so you run to the mount area barefeet) hence the one strap making it easier to get your foot in and out on the bike, secondly the tri shoes usually have a drain hole in front so the water can get out from the swim

I use normal road shoes - also see no point in having a tri pair and a normal pair... SO I run out of transition with them in my hand, and take 30 seconds to put them on when corssing the line where you can hop on your bike (I just make sure I'm out of everyones way who might be behind me)...

I just can't get it over my heart to run on my Sidi's and mess up their pretty carbon soles... (or is that carbon souls... :D )

this is a tip that will make your transitions quicker and save your shoes

leave their shoes in the pedals for the first transition (T1). After exiting the swim, put on your helmets, grab the bike and run out of the transition area.

In order to keep the crank arms and shoes from rotating and jamming into the ground, use thin rubber bands to hold the shoes and the crank arms parallel to the ground. They attach one end of the rubber band around the shoe or through the heel loop of the shoe, and the other end to a rear stay on the side of the bike.

Do the same with the other shoe. You will have to experiment to see which locations are best for your rubber bands depending on your shoe size and frame size.

The thin rubber bands easily break away when you mount the bike and begin pedaling with your feet on top of your shoes. Slide your feet in your shoes once you are rolling at a good pace.

at the end of the ride take your feet out of your shoes before the dismount area, freewheel in with your feet on top of your shoes... jump off the bike as you get to the dismount

In order to keep the crank arms and shoes from rotating and jamming into the ground, use thin rubber bands to hold the shoes and the crank arms parallel to the ground. They attach one end of the rubber band around the shoe or through the heel loop of the shoe, and the other end to a rear stay on the side of the bike.

Do the same with the other shoe. You will have to experiment to see which locations are best for your rubber bands depending on your shoe size and frame size.

The thin rubber bands easily break away when you mount the bike and begin pedaling with your feet on top of your shoes. Slide your feet in your shoes once you are rolling at a good pace.

I'm going to do this at 70.3.

Only concern is the massive red welt I'll experience on my heel when the elastic band breaks :D