[Event] TransBaviaans 2011

EcoBound MTB Events

How does 22hours grab you? Think we were the 2nd or 3rd last team to check in just before 08.00 in J-Bay. The route was seriosly tough and we were hit by numerous mechanical and other problems. We also hooked up with another team of 3 so eventually had a 7-man team we all wanted to get to the finish. We had 2 chain breaks in the first 15km's, another after CP3, 3 punctures, aboout 6 falls(one being at night and the rider breaking all his lights) and various other things. When we got to CP1 there was nothing left which caused some energy problems for some guys leading up to CP2. All-in-all an awesome experience, great scenery, but very tough...

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was by the most challenging event i have ever done. I would choose to do an Ironman before attempting that route again. I didnt think it would ever be possible to fall asleep on a bike, but going up the never ender i just couldn't keep my eyes open and found myself in the bush a few times.

Bwah ha ha, Ive also almost fallen asleep on my bike, after doing 30 hour shifts and then ride home at 3.00am. Not nice :thumbdown: Well done for the ride though :clap:

How does 22hours grab you? Think we were the 2nd or 3rd last team to check in just before 08.00 in J-Bay. The route was seriosly tough and we were hit by numerous mechanical and other problems. We also hooked up with another team of 3 so eventually had a 7-man team we all wanted to get to the finish. We had 2 chain breaks in the first 15km's, another after CP3, 3 punctures, aboout 6 falls(one being at night and the rider breaking all his lights) and various other things. When we got to CP1 there was nothing left which caused some energy problems for some guys leading up to CP2. All-in-all an awesome experience, great scenery, but very tough...

Remember you paid for 24 hours.....this was time well spend!!! Glad your team made it!!! :thumbup: We also battled do'nt you worry!!!

How did it compare to a "normal" Baviaans? If I knew that it was going to be different, I would have done it, as it seems that the route was quite a bit different.

I think it was tougher - even with a STRONG tailwind. Those rolling hills after the second checkpoint soften you up nicely for the big climb, and the bottom of that climb is pretty darn steep.

Certainly not as scenic as Baviaans - I got a little bored of staring at Karroo bossies for hours on end (and my partner's bum!).

Biggest let down - the descent into Patensie - drop 100m, climb 50m, drop 100m, climb 50m etc...

what a great event. The one thing that was misleading was that checkpoint 3 was at 152km and not 146km as it was supposed to be, so I nearly dehydrated in those extra 7km of climbing as I only took one bottle for between 2 and 3, luckilly my one teammate had a little bit of juice left in his camelback end we shared it. The descent into the valley was tough and technical and the big climb replacing MAC was a killer, especially after getting our feet wet in the river! apart from that the route was nice and fast.

This was my first baviaans and we managed 11h04, cannot wait for next year.

And from the sound of things - 230kms on a bike certainly beat the pain of watching the Springboks.

And from the sound of things - 230kms on a bike certainly beat the pain of watching the Springboks.

Definitely !!!! :clap: :clap:

Die nuwe roete was 'n monster teenoor die regte Baviaans. Dit sal interesant wees om te sien of hulle nie die roete so gaan hou soos wat dit nou was nie, meer uitdaagend en lekker as jy eers klaar is.G@t is nog seer na 10h30, wil nie weet hoe voel 22h00 nie.

What an amazing experience!!It was tough and it was my first mountain bike race / event over 60km!!Made it in just under 16 and a half hours with allot of walking and agonizing pain!

Hats off to the organizers for this great event.I have nothing to complain about and will definitely do it again next year :thumbup: !

My total was as follow :

Distance - 238.2 km

Ascent - 2895 m

Descent - 3835 m

Max temp - 28 degrees

Min temp - 3 degrees

Ave temp - 12 degrees

Well done to everybody who made it and see you next year!

Just a question?

How many people had stomach issues after the race, My team, plus some others had running stomachs after the race ( I suspect the soup at Checkpoint 3)

PS: I also think its tougher that the original route!

Just a question?

How many people had stomach issues after the race, My team, plus some others had running stomachs after the race ( I suspect the soup at Checkpoint 3)

PS: I also think its tougher that the original route!

Nope, packed my own food and water at all the checkpoints just in case.Had some roosterbrood at chkpt 1, sosatie and wors at chkpt 2 so you can rule that out.

Die nuwe roete was 'n monster teenoor die regte Baviaans. Dit sal interesant wees om te sien of hulle nie die roete so gaan hou soos wat dit nou was nie, meer uitdaagend en lekker as jy eers klaar is.G@t is nog seer na 10h30, wil nie weet hoe voel 22h00 nie.

Het jy die hele roete gery of was daar darem dele wat jy gestoot het ook??

We drove the route - more or less keeping up with the leaders and I can tell you, even the teams that came 2nd and 3rd walked the section just after checkpoint #3 (didn't see the 1st team at this point but I reckon they would have walked it too).

So don't feel bad for having to walk some of it - it was an extremely tough route.

We drove the route - more or less keeping up with the leaders and I can tell you, even the teams that came 2nd and 3rd walked the section just after checkpoint #3 (didn't see the 1st team at this point but I reckon they would have walked it too).

So don't feel bad for having to walk some of it - it was an extremely tough route.

Thanks Brad.....